Thursday, May 12, 2011

Barbara White Daille


A RANCHER'S PRIDE

Barbara White Daille knows how to tug on readers' heartstrings. What's more she does it with a finesse that makes it look easy. But today the Get Lost Crew puts her on the spot. I mean, Barbara can talk about craft until ...well, the cows come home... Get it??? A Rancher's Pride ;) Today, though, we're making her answer our fun get-to-know- you questions. Please welcome Barbara White Daille to GET LOST IN A STORY.


Sam Robertson's life just changed. In one short day, he found out that he's a daddy; that his beautiful little girl, Becky, is deaf; and that her aunt, sign language teacher Kayla Ward, intends to fight him for custody.





There are plenty of reasons Sam shouldn't fall for Kayla. A city girl like her has no place on his ranch, particularly when she's his ex-wife's gorgeous sister. But thanks to the judge's orders, Sam's spending a lot of time with Kayla, trying to give Becky the stable home she's never known.





Despite their ongoing custody battle, Sam and Kayla's love for Becky brings them closer than they ever expected, and Sam knows that no matter who wins in court, he could still lose—Kayla or his daughter.





DONNELL: Big city or small town girl?



BARBARA: Small town. Love to read about them, love to write about them. I’ll never say never about bit cities, but so far, all my stories have been set in tiny, close-knit communities. Even though the heroines of three of my four books come from large cities, they find love and happiness and their perfect heroes in small towns.



DONNELL: What’s your favorite room in your house, and why?



BARBARA: The living room, because I can do two of my all-time favorite activities on the couch there: snuggle with my husband and/or curl up with a good book.



DONNELL: What’s in your refrigerator right now?





BARBARA: Leftover lasagna, leftover pizza, leftover spaghetti... (Are you noticing a trend here?)





Now, if you’d asked me what was in my freezer, I could give a much more varied response. In my freezer, I have five bags of different types of chocolate. Hey, a girl’s gotta have choices!







DONNELL: What makes you laugh? What makes you angry?





BARBARA: Laugh: Babies. “I Love Lucy” reruns. Pun-ny jokes.





Angry: Injustice. People who don’t know how to use their car’s directional signals. Not enough chocolate in the freezer.







DONNELL: If you could interview one person, and it doesn’t have to be a writer, who would it be?





BARBARA: It would be a writer. Agatha Christie. She’s one of my favorite mystery writers and the author of the first adult books I’d ever read. She has her critics who put down her characterization skills, etc. I don’t care. For inventiveness, I think she was ahead of her time. And 30+ years after her time, her heirs are still laughing all the way to the bank.







DONNELL: Do you read your reviews?





BARBARA: Uhhh...I’m still a newbie. Yeah, I read my reviews. When one is not so good, I tell myself it’s only one person’s opinion. When a review is good...I try to tell myself it’s only one person’s opinion. Sometimes I even succeed. LOL







DONNELL: Do you ever suffer from writer’s block? If so, what do you do about it?





.



.



BARBARA: (Shh! Did you notice I ignored the question? That’s what I try to do with writer’s block. Ignore it. And eventually, it goes away. )







DONNELL: (I noticed.) What is something that not a lot of people know about you but you WISH more people COULD know?Bold





BARBARA: I write for chocolate. No, not really. On a serious note:





I would like people to know my goal as a writer: to bring the same enjoyment to my readers through my books as other authors’ books have brought to me.









DONNELL: Which era would you least have liked to live in, fashion-wise?





BARBARA: The Jazz Age: the Roaring Twenties. Love the music! Don’t have the body for the flapper dresses.







DONNELL: You’ve just invented a time machine. Where are you going?





BARBARA: To the time and place and person who invented the chocolate candy bar.







DONNELL ASKS, BARBARA'S GOTTA ANSWER QUESTION: In honor of Friday the 13th. Are you superstitious?





BARBARA: I am and I’m not. This question connects to the one earlier about reviews. It also ties in to how I feel about my horoscope.





If a monthly horoscope says something good will happen, I make note of the upcoming date(s) and spend time in happy anticipation—when I remember to think about it. If the horoscope predicts bad things, then I don’t believe in it. Or so I tell myself....





So to directly answer the question, I’m superstitious when it works for me. ;-)







BARBARA'S QUESTIONS FOR READERS:





What’s your favorite occupation for a hero—doctor, rancher, military man, construction worker, or...?





And why?







READERS, THERE YOU HAVE IT. THIS AUTHOR LIVES FOR CHOCOLATE. COME CELEBRATE BARBARA'S "A RANCHER'S PRIDE" RELEASE. QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS WILL EARN READERS ONE OF BARBARA'S BACK LIST. BE SURE TO LEAVE YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS SO I CAN PUT YOU IN TOUCH WITH HER.



~~Also, join us again on Monday, May 16th, when Cat hosts Author J.L. Wilson.~~



~~~



Originally from the East Coast, award-winning author Barbara White Daille now lives with her husband in the warm, sunny Southwest, where they love the dry heat and have taken up square dancing.



From the time she was a toddler, Barbara found herself fascinated by those things her mom called "books." Once she learned the words between the covers held the magic of storytelling, she wanted to see her words in print so she could weave that spell for others.



Barbara hopes you will enjoy reading her stories and will find your own storytelling magic in them!



Her newest title from Harlequin American Romance, A RANCHER’S PRIDE, was just released and has received a 4-1/2 star Top Pick review rating from RT Book Reviews.



You can find Barbara online at her web site and blog: http://www.barbarawhitedaille.com/ where you can check out her Virtual Blog Tour schedule for A RANCHER’S PRIDE.



You can also reach her via Facebook and Twitter: http://www.facebook.com/barbarawhitedaille and https://twitter.com/BarbaraWDaille










22 comments:

  1. Barbara! We made it. How ironic that Blogger went crazy on Friday the 13th. I'm definitely attributing the blog craziness to this date.

    Profession. Gosh, I can't really say that I have a favorite. And it depends on the author. I mean, Author Linda Howard made her protagonist a handyman in suspenders (of course he was a special forces guy in reality), but for several chapters, we thought he was a handyman.

    LaVyrle Spencer made one of her protagonists a down and out ex-con who came looking for a job.

    It's the storytelling that makes the heroes appealing, I reckon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogger is back!

    I like heroes to have either dangerous jobs or physically taxing jobs. I like ranchers and construction workers because they have to be strong physically and have a strong work ethic. I also like cops/fireman and other law enforcement jobs. Those heroes are protectors that think nothing of putting themselves in harms way.

    Loved the interview!

    user1123 AT comcast DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dale - whew! Yes, we made it--finally.

    A while back, when you'd asked how I felt about guest blogging on Friday the 13th, I said, no problem! Now, I'm thinking I might have to change my response about how superstitious I am.... LOL

    As for the profession for the hero, yes, I agree. The storytelling is what carries off a career for a hero. Ex-con, burglar, bum...in the right writer's hands, each one can be as appealing as any other hero.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. Your allergies and my temperature have us all out of sorts. But I'm pretty sure last time I checked my name wasn't Dale. (Private joke, readers -- Poor Barbara and I have been under the weather!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stacie - glad you liked the interview!

    I think you've touched on a good point with the protector role in general. The larger-than-life issues that go along with it can instantly elevate those men--and women--to true hero status.

    Thanks for commenting.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, again, Donnell - just our BAD luck to be sick for today. (sigh)

    Hope you're feeling much better.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alright, will the real Dale please stand up! Actually, she's too whomped to be bothered. Another great interview ladies! And doesn't it figure about Blogger. Still all's well that ends well.

    Hope the weekend goes much better. And again congrats Barbara on your phenomenal success.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And the-e-e-re's Dale--who puts us all to shame.

    It's no wonder you're whomped, Dale.

    Thanks for taking the time to stop in and for your kind words. Much appreciated!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrific questions and answers. I'm better today -mostly because I only left the house to get the mail. And I ran out for that before the pollen could make a landing.

    Two of my heroes are musicians, so I have to say those must be my favorite heroes. Though I really love my dragon/man hero. It's tough to choose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah there is something to be said for a small town. I live in one. Everyone seems to know everything, but its so much fun. I'm glad you made it through Friday the 13th. This story looks awesome.

    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Edie - glad to hear you're feeling better. When the pollen count is high, hiding out is the best thing to do.

    It would be hard not to find a dragon/man intriguing, I think. ;)

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Nan - thanks so much for the compliment!

    As for making it here on Friday the 13th, it was a close call. ;)

    You've pointed out just why I love writing about small towns: everyone knows everyone else's business. And in my books, they don't hesitate to get involved in it. LOL

    Thanks for commenting.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cowboys are my favorite heros! I hope blogger doesnt' loose my post because I have noticed that happening a lot lately. I love small town stories because I am from a small town, they just seem more real to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Virginia - we've got your comment. (Although Blogger didn't want to accept MINE at first.)

    I write a lot of cowboys, including Sam in A RANCHER'S PRIDE. Also, you may be happy to hear that the book is set in a small town. That realness factor is important to me, too.

    Thanks for dropping in!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Barbara and welcome to GLIAS. Finally got on to say HI !!

    Congratulations on your TO PICK !
    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, back at you, Angi!

    Thanks for the welcome and for the congrats for the TOP PICK. It was a big but happy surprise!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  17. Karin,

    'Nuff said! LOL

    Thanks for stopping in.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Barbara,

    For me, a hero just needs to be excellent at his work because he is talented, passionate, brilliant. (Extremely heroic and sexy!) Eccentric also has big appeal for me. I love to read fringy characters in the role of heroes and heroines instead of supporting characters.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Jillian,

    That's a great point about a hero excelling at his work. A man (or woman) who knows what he's doing makes for a very strong character.

    Eccentric works for me, too, and I've got a bunch of those secondary characters running around in my books.

    I like the idea of fringy for a hero or heroine. As an artist and part of an eccentric family, Kerry in my Oct 2010 book, FAMILY MATTERS, definitely feels she qualifies. ;-)

    Thanks for the thoughts.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  20. Late to post - but no winner yet, so maybe I will get lucky (not likely though!!) Congrats on the top pick and really enjoyed your interview. yenastone at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, Tammy - thanks so much on the Top Pick congrats!

    I'm glad you enjoyed the interview.

    I believe the drawing is actually in the works, so good luck to you and all the entrants!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete