1/11/2011

Mira Lyn Kelly

Mira Lyn Kelly grew up in the Chicago area and earned her degree in Fine arts from Loyola University. She met the love of her life while studying abroad in Rome, Italy, only to discover he’d been living right around the corner from her for the previous two years. Having spent her twenties working and playing in the Windy City, she’s now settled with her husband in rural Minnesota, where their four beautiful children provide an excess of action, adventure and entertainment.
With writing as her passion and inspiration striking at the most unpredictable times, Mira can always be found with a notebook at the ready. (More than once she’s been caught by the neighbors, covered in grass clippings, scribbling away atop the compost container!)
When she isn’t reading, writing, or running to keep up with the kids, she loves watching movies, blabbing with the girls and cooking with her husband and friends. Check out her website for the latest dish!–

FRONT PAGE AFFAIR

Payton hasn't seen Nate Evans in years—not since he used to hang out with her brother in high school. But now she and Nate are guests at the same wedding where the notorious millionaire offers her a wild proposal—a sexy, scandalous and irresistible affair!
Nate's outrageous proposition was supposed to stay only paper-thin; it was merely a ploy to distract the tabloids from another, all-too-real scandal. But neither he nor Payton expected such a very public affair to prove so very hot in private…
Or to have such lasting consequences….

        
Today, I’m thrilled to welcome Mira Lynn Kelly, a fellow Midwest Fiction Writer chapter mate and Harlequin Presents Extra author.  With our love of alpha heroes and sexy, passionate stories in common, it's no surprise we hit it off right away.  I'm so glad she decided to share a little about herself with us.

CAT:  Where do you read and how often?
MIRA:  Since writing is now a full time gig, I do it every day. Which means every night I need a way to break out of whatever story I’m currently toiling over…and I’ve found getting lost in someone else’s polished to a high shine writing is the best way for me to accomplish that. So I read every night. Usually on the couch in the living room, while I do my best to ignore Hoarders or Tool Academy or whatever compelling reality drama my husband is currently hooked on. (Also explains why I turn to a book rather than TV, lol!)

CAT:  Do you write to music?  If so, what kind?
MIRA:  Sometimes, but it really depends on where I am in a story. When I’m fine tuning, or working through a particularly sticky scene I need SILENCE. But when I’m dirty drafting…a little dirty music (Maroon 5 is always good) can be a great mood setter.

CAT:  What was the first story you remember writing?
MIRA:  I started writing stories in high school and the first one was about a woman in a nursing home who believed the man visiting her was her husband, when in truth he was married to her daughter. It wasn’t a real romance, lol, that’s for sure.

CAT:  What’s your favorite movie of all time? Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Totally. MIRA:  Aside from Brad Pitt being one of my favorite flavors of man-candy, this movie is just sexy and hilarious and action packed.

CAT:  Be honest, when reading 1st person...do you miss the hero’s POV?
MIRA:  Yes. I love to get a look inside the hero’s head. Guys have such a different way of looking at things, such a sexy and unique take on what’s happening around them. I always like to be a part of it…for at least a while anyway.

CAT:  If you couldn’t be a writer anymore, what profession would you take up?
MIRA:  Hmm, I think I’d like to be a professional book reviewer, making six figures off it, and only reviewing romances…with happy endings…and no closed door love scenes.

CAT:  What’s the first thing you do when you finish writing a book?
MIRA:  Slump down in my chair and let out breath of relief that feels like it comes straight from my toes. Then there might be some aimless staggering around the house as I let go of all the million little details I’ve been trying to keep at the forefront of my mind for the past two months. A bit of delirium maybe. And finally, I pour a glass of wine and curl up next to the man and watch whatever he’s got on (at this point I’m sufficiently brain dead to tolerate the reality du jour). I usually wait until the next day to start the new project.  

CAT:  If you could interview one person (and it doesn’t have to be a writer) who would it be?
MIRA:  George Clooney. I figure an interview would be a legitimate means of getting within cheap-feel distance, right? Definitely better than just out and out stalking.

GOTTA ASK -- GOTTA ANSWER  J
CAT:  If you were a T-shirt, what color would you be and why?
MIRA:  Black because then I’d be versatile and go with everything. I love that I’d be a T-shirt though because I’m all about the casual…but in my mind a plain black T is sort of the dressier end of casual and can be spiffed up without too much effort…as opposed to the mustard yellow variety that says “I’m with stupid ===>”

GOT A QUESTION YOU’D LIKE TO ASK YOUR FANS?
Thank you very much to Cat and Get Lost In A Story for the opportunity to join you today and share a little bit about myself. But after answering all these questions for you, I feel like I kind of want to ask one of my own. So here it is…

What’s your favorite flavor of romance? Do your tastes run towards something light and funny? Heavy and heart-wrenching? Tart and fresh? Hot and spicy? Or super sweet?

Me? Most often I like mine fresh but with enough heat and complexity to maintain a slow burn throughout and keep me hungering for more…but the truth is I’m a sucker for any romance I can get! I’d love to hear what you crave when you’re looking for a HEA…and even who you think serves it up like no one else. (Yes, I read every night…which means I’m always looking for new authors to add to my must read pile!)

One commenter will be chosen at random to win a copy of my current release FRONT PAGE AFFAIR.**

Wishing all of you a wonderful year!

Mira

For more about Mira, visit her at:  www.miralynkelly.com

**Note: Offer void where prohibited. Prizes will be mailed to North America  addresses only. If an Advanced Reading Copy (ARC) is available, the author may utilize that option for International participants. Odds of winning vary due to the number of entrants.

Join us tomorrow when Angi hosts Rebecca York.

21 comments:

  1. Welcome Mira. Thanks for blogging with us today. Your new book is already receiving rave reviews and has jumped to number four on the Borders series bestseller list. That's got to be exciting. Congratulations.

    I think my favorite types of romance will become pretty obvious is a few months. I love sexy stories with charming heroes and lots of flirtatious banter between the characters. And naturally all that light hearted tone covers up the deeper emotional issues the characters aren't ready to deal with.

    I don't ask for much in a book, do I?

    Thanks for joining us today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mira

    You already know I love you work but I just wanted to say thank you for sharing the great interview with us ! I am so dying to read Front Page Affair,I know I don't live in North America (South Africa )so I have no chance of winning but like I said I just had to say thanks the interview is great and I adore the cover of Front Page Affair !

    All the best
    Desere

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning Cat! Thanks so much for having me. And, yes, YAY!! very exciting to see my pretty little book cover up there on that Borders list. I didn't totally believe it until I saw it was still up there this morning, lol!!

    Cat, can't wait to read your Desire in a few months!!

    Desere, you are such a sweetie! Thank you, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Mira! A woman who likes Brad Pitt and George Clooney is my kind of people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simone, lol, yeah that's me. My list of pretend celebrity boyfriends is pretty extensive...but Brad and George are toppers for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ditto what Simone said about your choice of men. :)

    I don't really have a particular flavor of the month for romances.. But I mostly like them fast-paced, with well motivated, believable conflict. I do like them hot, but only if I'm also into the characters.

    Your Presents sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mira!
    It was such fun to read more about you--and Cat asked great questions. I have a list of celeb guys too -- George is definitely high on it but my current crush is (not for the first time) Colin Firth after seeing The King's Speech. He's so charming and innately sexy even though I've heard him described as "a fat-faced English boy." Harrumph. In my reading I love contemporaries best. I really adore a gentle-moving story with lots of emotion and many sprinkles of humor. I love feeling like I've really gotten to know the hero and heroine.

    Good luck with all your writing--can't wait to read all your work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liz, LUV Colin Firth. And I found out he's one of my mom's favs too ever since she saw What A Girl Wants. Cute movie, BTW.

    Mira, Desere is right, you've got a great cover. But then again, Presents has a knack for getting it right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mira! Welcome to GLIAS today...it's been great fun learning more about you.

    I tend to love romances that have a lighter tone, but with a heavier, mystery element. Mostly, though, I love stories where the characters leap off of the page and grab/keep my attention.

    Ah oh...Colin Firth :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your release, Mira! This sounds like a great story. I hope you'll be doing a JoaN for the Midwest Fiction Writers. I'd love to hear about your journey.

    My favorite romances right now are paranormal or historical with lots of plot twists and fun character banter. I'm not a huge George Clooney fan, but Colin Firth...he's fun to watch.

    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mira,

    Great interview. I'm a Maroon 5 fan, too.

    My favorite romances are the ones that combine light and funny with hot and spicy. Make me laugh and then make me fan myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maureen, couldn't agree with you more about the sizzle in a story only being as compelling as the characters!

    Liz, Thank you!! I know, Cat made the interview super fun. And Colin. He's yummy. :-)

    Heather, thanks so much, it's great being here. I totally agree. When I'm looking for an escape in my reading... I want it to really grab hold of me.

    Tami, Thank you! Right now my fave paranormals are Lara Adrian's Breed books. Intense and packed with sizzle! Historicals I LOVE everything by Tessa Dare.

    Jamie, oooh I think those are my favorites! Just discovered Victoria Dahl (Talk Me Down is first in this series) last month and gobbled up all three. She makes me laugh...a lot...and then OH my...she delivers on the heat too. Lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mira, First of all congrats! Number four on the Border's Series Bestseller list!

    For me, a compelling love story/great read has to do with the way the author breathes life into her characters, then the crazy, wacky, fantastic or scary situation they are tossed into. When it all comes together, it is magical and memorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mira, I loved your answers and your book looks fantabulous. Loved the black T-shirt response, and I will download Maroon 5. Welcome, and congratulations on Borders Bestseller!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love Maroon 5. I find new artists from soundtracks. They were on the Love Actually soundtrack. Went out and bought them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Donnell, thanks so much! I think Songs About Jane is my fave albumn.

    Cat, lol, I totally do that too. Though strangely I don't buy a lot of music. I'm all about Pandora Radio these days. LOVE it when I luck out with a string of awesome songs by bands I haven't heard of before but match my taste. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Mira,
    Sorry to be absent all day, but I'm on "vacation" in NYC, had a visit at Harlequin and lunch with my editor. Very cool.

    SNOWING now...and there's nothing more than I'd enjoy to curl up with a good book with a fire glowing in the background...can't wait to get home to do that. And I agree, Jillian...I can read the same basic storyline over and over if the characters jump off the page and make me route for them.

    Glad to have you with us today !
    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so very much Mira !!! Keep up the good work ! Desere

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Angi, Ooh what fun in New York! Sounds terrific :-)

    Lol, will try Desere!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Mira,
    I enjoyed reading Wild Fling or a Wedding Ring so much, and I can't wait to read Front Page Affair. I LOVE Chicago, and I think it's a great place for romance. I wouldn't mind sightseeing with a hottie like George or Brad, either! Congratulations on all of your success.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Erin, thanks so very much!! Oh I could definitely go for a little sightseeing with one or both of those hotties!! :-)
    Mira

    ReplyDelete