2/07/2011

Release Week Party for Angi Morgan!

WELCOME TO THE ANGI MORGAN PARTY!!!



This entire week, we're celebrating the release of Angi Morgan's second novel from Harlequin Intrigue, .38 Caliber Cover-up.


Congratulations, Angi!


And, Angi's first book, Hill Country Holdup has been nominated for RT’s 2010 Best Series First Book.


Another huge congratulations!!


According to her mother, Angi Morgan began creating stories and characters when she was two years old. Drawing blobs of colors on a page, she proceeded to tell anyone within earshot about whatever a two-year-old creates.


Introduced to Harlequin romances by her grandmother, she went through Junior High waiting for the next visit to "Mommie's" house. There, she'd search through the inside cover corners for checkmarks, aunt's initials, and her favorite phrase: Okay for Angi. That's right, her aunts and grandmother censored which stories she could borrow.


Reading gave her a love for the Harlequin name and story. She still has a lot of her grandmother’s books. Angi keeps reading and thinking romance, falling in love with the “Happily Ever After” for each hero and heroine.


~~~Angi and I met at the RWA National conference last summer, where we were both finalists, (in different categories), for the prestigious Golden Heart® award. A group of us finalists planned to meet in the lobby to grab a drink and get to know each other "in real life", but the lobby was packed with oodles of other writers doing the same thing. I figured I'd recognize someone, or someone would recognize me, but after several walk-throughs, I was starting to give up. Luckily, I had Angi's cellphone number and texted her, "Where are you?" Her response was something like, "I'm waving my crutches!" But, being a text message, it wasn't exactly that, LOL, and it took me a minute to figure out what she meant. It was easier to be sure what the message meant when I spotted a woman on crutches in the lobby. And that's the very silly story of how Angi and I met.


Angi went on to win her category at the extravagant and exciting (think Oscars for romance writers) RITA® and GH® ceremony a few nights later. I teared up when she gave her acceptance speech. Not only because she needed help to get on stage without her crutches. Not only because she was clearly thrilled and overwhelmed. Not only because she was so deserving. Not only because she thanked her husband and brought him up on stage. But because, by that time, Angi was a friend and I was so happy for her.






And now, **drumroll**, introducing:


.38 CALIBER COVER-UP


AN UNDERCOVER AGENT, A BEAUTIFUL COP…AND THE BULLET THAT BROUGHT THEM TOGETHER


Undercover DEA agent Erren Rhodes was used to working alone. So the very idea of teaming up with Officer Darby O’Malley to ferret out a killer wasn’t exactly how he thought this critical mission would go. But thanks to information only the beautiful cop possessed, finding whoever was responsible for shooting Erren’s friend made Darby a valuable—and irresistible—partner. Digging into the case, though, revealed a far-reaching conspiracy…and angered all the wrong people. Now, trying to bring a killer to justice while keeping Darby safe was making Erren remember why he was better off on his own. Especially when Darby made him long to hole up together in the safe house and never let her out of his sight.


.38 Caliber Cover-up is Angi Morgan's second title with Harlequin Intrigue. Check out the great trailer!






GET TO KNOW ANGI


Maureen: How did you feel when your first book HILL COUNTRY HOLDUP came out? Does it feel the same or different now that .38 CALIBER COVER-UP is out?
Angi: As I answer these questions, my stomach is just as jittery as last September. I finally received my books from Harlequin and love the cover. It’s different holding it in your hand. And to know that .38 Caliber Cover-Up was written entirely last year...in fact, from the time we sent the proposal ‘til the time it hit shelves has only been about ten months. Different, yet the same. I hope that I never lose the anticipation of seeing the book on the shelves. I intend to take pictures again. (Is that silly? LOL)


Maureen: That is SO not silly. What’s your favorite “love” word?
Angi: Hope. I mentioned this during our interview with HelenKay Dimon. But I’ve always been a huge fan of Romancing the Stone. Maybe because Joan Wilder is SUCH a romantic, but because my family saw that film and finally understood me a little better. I’ve never liked the word “hopeless”...I’ve never believed anything was hopeless. So when Joan Wilder says, “Hopeful romantic,” it felt right.


Maureen: What’s your favorite thing about being an author?
Angi: Seeing the actual book, holding the actual book, carrying the book around with me in my purse, leaving book marks when we pay our bill. But honestly, signing a book for someone who genuinely wants to read your words...what an awesome feeling.


Maureen: What’s your favorite kind of cheese?
Angi: I just finished off the last bite of excellent White Stilton with cranberries. Absolutely my favorite. I recently discovered that I’m lactose intolerant, so finding a cheese I can eat and enjoy was heaven.


Maureen: If you couldn’t be a writer anymore, what profession would you take up?
Angi: Lock me up and throw away the key. I’d be divorced. Homeless. And probably working at MickeyD’s. My husband told me just yesterday that if I didn’t write HE couldn’t stand it (or me apparently--LOL). He’s very supportive and helps as often as he cans...but like all family, sometimes they needed to be reminded when the voices are shouting and the only way to get rid of them is to write what they’re saying.


Maureen: What do you look for in a real-life hero?
Angi: This definitely deserves a serious attention, so forgive me if it’s not the answer you expect. But I think there are different types of heroes and I’ve had several in my life. I know it seems like a standard reply, but I wouldn’t be writing full-time if it weren’t for my husband. He told me I was a writer and that we’d do whatever it took for me to pursue that path. Another is a former boss from my twenty’s. She saw the potential, didn’t hold my ideas back, and took 30 minutes a week to spend taking her employees on break--during the break she listened. Taught me a lot. And then there was my dad. The strong, silent, John Wayne type of guy from the 50’s (he really did look like the Duke). In order to help with my writing career, he bought me (and my siblings) our first PCs at about $1000 a pop. He never said it was to help me. And he knew he couldn’t buy me one and not my sister and brother. But we received them for Christmas just after a conversation he had with me asking why I wasn’t writing any longer. And unlike Nora Roberts, I did not have the time or patience to “whiteout” or rearrange everything I typed on my Selectric II.


Maureen: What’s the best compliment you’ve received about your books?
Angi: An adult from my childhood (probably about 68-70 now), came into my book signing on Tuesday seeking a different book and he bought mine, too. I’m certain he was just being nice. He attends church with my mom and on Sunday, he stopped her in the hallway. The conversation went something like this: 
Mr. Trego: “I bought your daughter’s book.” 
Mom: “Did you like it?” 

Mr. Trego: “I came in yesterday, sat down for a break, and started thumbing through it.” (I shivered in the long pause my mother had here...I expected that to be the end of it...there’s sex in the story, you know.) 
Mr. Trego: “Did you know you’re daughter can actually write?” 
Mom: “Yes.” 

Mr. Trego: “I sat down for a fifteen minute break and got up two hours later. I couldn’t put it down. Kept me on the edge of my seat.” 

Mom: “So you really liked it!” 

Mr. Trego: “I finished it, walked across the room, dropped it in Sue’s lap and said, Read this. You’ll love it.” 
LOL, I get tickled thinking of Mr. Trego and intend to send him a copy of .38 Caliber Cover-Up. I use that story when men tell me they don’t read romance.


Maureen: THAT is a great story and a fabulous compliment. What sound or noise do you love?
Angi: My grandkids’ voices saying, “I love you Nana!” I’ve kept phone messages and listen to them when I need a hug.


GOTTA ASK -- GOTTA ANSWER J


Maureen: Do you have plans for Valentine’s Day?
Angi: Funny you should ask. The hubby and I have been together for twenty-four Valentine’s Days. Two of them, I traveled with him and we celebrated (very nicely). He’s been home for two. So this will be the fifth Valentine’s Day we’re actually together. Now we’ve celebrated on different days of course, but rarely ON Valentine’s Day. HE believes he’s taking me out to dinner...but I have different ideas. Nothing firm yet. I’m hoping he doesn’t take a look at this--if he does, he’s in charge again. >>big grin<< 


ANGI ASKS HER FANS 


Does anyone want to read .38 Caliber Cover-Up based on Erren’s appearance in Hill Country Holdup? And if not my stories, does the fact that a protagonist appear in an additional book spur you to make a purchase? 


GET TO KNOW ANGI EVEN BETTER BY FOLLOWING HER HERE:

AngiMorgan.com
Facebook: Angi Morgan & the Angi Morgan Fan page
Twitter: AngiMorganAuthr
She's also on Goodreads. Blogging on eHarlequin.com, BlameItOnTheMuse.com, & DailyDose-FantasyRomance.blogspot.com as part of Bloody Mondays. And of course, blogging here at Get Lost in a Story!





33 comments:

  1. Well, good morning and Congratulations!!! This little jewel is now in my house (thank you, thank you!), I've read the first chapter and LOVED it, and I'm using it as a carrot to finish up my day job work today so I can enjoy it when it snows (again) tomorrow.

    Could you tell us about your typical writing day?

    Enjoy your well deserved success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, Angi. I loved the part with Mr. Trego. And I'm glad you get to spend actual Valentine's Day with your sweetie this year. Congratulations on the release and best wishes for your continued success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Angi! Congrats on book 2. What an amazing year you've had.

    I love connected books. Nothing like revisiting people you already know.

    Glad to hear you and the hubby get to spend Valentine's Day together. As for me, I'm getting a massage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, Angi! I can't wait to get to this book tonight. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, Angi!!

    I love connected books. Especially if the characters pop up unexpectedly... Anne Rice did that a lot in her vampire books... And Robertson Davies (how's that for a contrast!) in his trilogies. Also, Emily Giffen. Yes, her first two books were obviously connected... but then when one of the characters from those had a walk on role in the third novel (not connected) I loved it. I felt like I was in on a secret or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Gillian !!
    A typical writing day? I'm struggling to make them typical.

    Tim & I have been traveling...a lot...together and separately. So getting into a routine has been difficult. But we've recently begun working out (seriously, don't laugh). The exercise has put us on a better schedule. So I'm hoping things change.

    BUT, I normally write in 20 minute sprints. In fact, I wrote MOST of .38 Caliber Cover-Up by writing for 20 minutes, taking a break for 10 (moving, bathroom, eating, laundry, email), and then writing for another 20, etc. Every couple of hours (unless I'm on a roll) I'll exercise or ride my bike, or throw the ball for Pepper. I'm more productive when I stick to the 20 minute sprints.

    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Abigail!
    Mr. Trego's a hoot. He and my brother-in-law have been pushing me to do something in my hometown library. It's exciting, and makes me feel weird all at the same time. Silly...but hey, it's where I grew up...I'm 16 there. I haven't made any arrangements yet. But I will.

    And Valentine's Day ... I was leaning toward a quiet night at home. But maybe not after 8 straight SNOW days with him. LOL Of course, he'll be flying home that morning...so quiet at home will be HIS favorite thing!

    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cat!
    AHHH A MASSAGE !
    (I do hate the part about having to drive home though. Ruins the relaxation.)

    AND THANKS !
    ~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Simone! Hope you enjoy it.
    ~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maureen...well, you made me cry. Thank you for such a warm welcome and fun party! I love love love when I connect with people at conference. THANK YOU !!

    Wal on characters...I actually have one in .38 Caliber. I believe it's good enough for a "scavenger hunt question" so I'm not telling. LOL

    In some of my books that I wrote early early early that will never see the light of day, I use one of my hero doctors as the pediatrician for the kids born in the epilogues. I want all my books to have a walk on character. That would definitely be cool.

    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Angi. I really enjoyed your interview. Your answers sounded like you were sharing your true feelings. You need to print Mr. Trego conversation and keep it near your work area. When you are at a hard place in your writing, take it out and look at it...and remember, YOU CAN ACTUALLY WRITE!! I enjoy return characters, hero, villain or sidekick. Villains (like Gene Hackman in the movies) can make you like and hate them at the same time. A good sidekick can be used for so many things and answers. Congratulations on the series. And remember, the best thing about a good book, you will love to read over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay Angi!

    Congrats on your latest release .38 CALIBER COVER-UP!! I'M ORDERING A COPY TODAY FROM AMAZON! I think this means you are now officially on a roll!!!!!

    I think using connecting or continuing characters (not sure about the jargon here) definitely builds a relationship with your readers.

    Wow! Two releases and many more to go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview, and I love the advice about writing in 20 minute spurts. That's something I'll definitely try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay, Angi! Congrats. Can't wait to get .38 Caliber. You're such a sweet person! Loved meeting you in Orlando :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI'YA MONA !!

    Villians are my downfall. Yikes. They're so elusive to me. They're always more intellectual, out-thinking my hero & heroine. Hero's always stronger though! >>grin<<

    Thanks for the idea about a sidekick, I need that in this series proposal.

    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gillian...double thanks on the congrats and order.

    And you must really like continuing your characters --6 books contracted WOOO HOO--

    Time to work soon.
    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice to "meet" Anne. The spurts really work when you have someone on-line on the same time schedule. If you get stuck you can ask for a shout. But the main part of having a bud "sprinting" with you is that you're accountable to someone. We have a chat room and report the number of words we type in 20 minutes. Very fun. You don't feel alone. And best of all, you get to celebrate a good run of words.

    Definitely give it a try.
    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jen, you're sweet for saying that and a BIG CONGRATS on your release! Proud of you for bringing back westerns.

    And my husband might disagree with "sweet" after 8 SNOW DAYS and being constantly together. Day 9, he did make it to work but then yesterday we actually packed Christmas away (yes we're THAT far behind here LOL).

    But thank you for thinking of me that way!
    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Angi,
    Great interview. Congratulations on the release and best wishes for your continued success!

    ReplyDelete
  20. THANKS NAS DEAN !!

    This is making me smile... listening to ABBA's keeping me danging around the house.
    (Yes, I really love ABBA --LOL)

    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Angi,
    Congratulations on another new release! I still remember sitting in the lobby after the banquet in Orlando, searching for your first novel (and finding it) online after your win. I'm so happy for you - your success is inspiring.

    I wish you continued success and inspiration, 20 minutes at a time :)
    Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. HUGS ROCHELLE.
    I believe that's your phone in my Blogger pic. That was the first time I'd seen my book for sale. Thanks for giving me that moment on THAT special night.

    Can't wait for your book!
    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  23. Okay, okay, you can still be a writer. I'm so excited about the release of .38 Caliber Cover Up, and that such a nice person wrote it. I also have added it to my Kindle in addition to Hill Country Hold up. That way I can answer your question relating to "Your" books. My overall answer is it depends. There was one Sandra Brown novel where she introduced a character in book one and brought him back for his own story and I couldn't wait to get my hands on that book. I'm sure you do the same and I'll let you know, Angi! Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Angi!
    I loved your interview and know this success couldn't happen to a nicer person! I have ultra-fond memories of sharing Golden Heart night with you. I'm hoping, no planning, (positive attitude) to follow in your footsteps, and I wish you tons of success as your career just keeps building! Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yeah Angi!! Congrats! I know you are enjoying it.. and be very proud of yourself for all the effort you put in to writing the book like you did. You just keep on doing things you think you can't and life will be amazing! :)

    I love when a character is introduced in one story and then gets his or her own story later- I usually buy if I liked the first one. The character has to be mysterious or wounded in some way or of course, totally not looking for love and obnoxious about it :)

    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  26. I loved Hill Country Holdup. Erren was such a strong secondary character in that book. I love that he is getting his own HEA.

    I chuckled when I read that your aunts and grandmother censored your reading material. My mother did that for me. It only sent me into a frenzy trying to sneak a read of the censored books. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  27. BLESS YOU, Donnell! You purchased both.

    I hope you enjoy them! Hugs.
    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  28. HI LIZ !! I'm sure my footsteps will be easy for you to follow and pass me up! A sale is just around the corner for you. Thanks for the congrats.

    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  29. Kim...if you're checking back this week, you can tell everyone if Erren is mysterious and wounded enough (especially since you helped develop him!). Thanks for stopping by, I'm loving the "party."

    Angi

    ReplyDelete
  30. Kaelee...my secret read was Sweet Savage Love. Lots of Rosemary Rogers and other historical authors.

    Really glad you liked Erren (so do I!).

    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  31. Can't wait to read this, Angi! I love Intrigue. It's my favorite Harlequin line. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's extremely exciting to hear those words, Deb. And even more exciting that it's one of *MY* books you'll be buying.

    THANKS !!
    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  33. A thanks to my GLIAS buddies. And a special thank you to Maureen for hosting today and even for making me cry!

    It's been a special day and I appreciate everyone who shared their congratulations and enthusiasm.

    Lots of people have helped me get here...I remember and am humbled by their generosity.

    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete