3/04/2011

Robyn DeHart

Get Lost in This Story…



The Legend Hunters Series concludes with Treasure Me…

The Legend Hunters . . .
The Men of Solomon’s meet in secret, their very existence only a rumor among the best of Victorian society. They are treasure hunters, men of wealth and title, seekers of myths and legends. And no legend is as enthralling as the Loch Ness monster . . .

Graeme Langford, Duke of Rothmore, has always been torn between his beloved Scottish homeland and his duty to the English crown. But his is an adventurer’s soul and nothing keeps him from his dream: finding a long-lost stone hidden near Loch Ness.

Bookish Vanessa Pembrooke heads to the Highlands looking for traces of the legendary beast—not a husband. Yet when fate binds her to Graeme, it’s not all bad: he’s the first man ever to share her hunger for adventure. As their passion grows, so too does certain danger, and they’ll soon risk everything to keep the jewel out of a murder’s hands. But can they do so without losing the greatest treasure of all . . . their love?

Award-winning author, Robyn DeHart joins us on the blog today! Robyn is known for her unique plotlines and authentic characters and is a favorite among readers and reviewers. Publishers' Weekly claims her writing to be "comical and sexy" while the Chicago Tribune dubs her "wonderfully entertaining." A self-proclaimed craft junkie, Robyn is a popular writing instructor, having presented workshops on-line, at several RWA chapters and many times at RWA’s National Conference. She lives in Central Texas with her brainy husband and two very spoiled cats. The long awaited conclusion to Robyn’s exciting Legend Hunters series, TREASURE ME is available now anywhere books are sold! You can find her on-line at www.RobynDeHart.com or www.JauntyQuills.com.




Heather: What’s your favorite fairy tale?
Robyn: I think if I were to answer this without thinking about myself as being a writer, I might say that my favorite fairy tale is Cinderella. I mean who doesn’t dream of being swept up out of the mundane life and rescued by a prince? Sounds pretty awesome. But since I can’t pretend I’m not a writer, I must acknowledge the fact that most (if not all of my books) are in some ways Ugly Duckling/Sleeping Beauty stories. Books about women who do not see their own worth/beauty and by meeting the right guy begin to question their lot in life and what they deserve. It’s a coming-of-age story in some respects, one that works really well for heroines.

Heather: Where do you read and how often?
Robyn: I read mostly in bed before I fall asleep, but my favorite place to read is in my big red chair downstairs in my living room. I love to snuggle up during the day and play hooky from work and just devour a great book. I don’t let myself read during the day very often so when it happens it’s particularly special and indulgent.

Heather: What sound or noise do you love?
Robyn: My husband’s laugh. It is the most joyful noise in the world and it’s just impossible not to laugh when you hear it. A couple of years ago we saw Terry Fator (he’s a comedian /ventriloquist /impressionist) and he’s hilarious. At the intermission the woman in front of us turn around and told my husband that his laugh was so great, so infectious, that she was enjoying the show all the more sitting near us.

Heather: Do you write while listening to music? If so what kind?
Robyn: I used to not write to music at all, I found it very distracting, but when I started writing full-time I realized the benefit of writing outside of the house. Sometimes I just need to get out in public and write at a café somewhere, but I’m easily distracted by people around me so I started writing with earbuds. Now I do it at home too, I find it much easier to immerse myself in my writing world when I’m enclosed in the music. Even at home alone, I still use the earbuds instead of listening to the music out in the open. And I listen to movie soundtracks most of the time (instrumental) and some classical.

Heather: Is writing or story-telling easier for you?
Robyn: This is such a good question and I’m not even sure I have an answer for it, but it’s one of those things I ponder often. I don’t know that I’d consider myself a natural storyteller, I work very hard at getting the book on the page and making sure the characters come to life in a very real way for the reader. So I guess that makes me more of a writer. That being said, I don’t consider myself a true wordsmith and I focus on putting the story together scene-by-scene so that it all builds perfectly. See, I confuse myself in the matter. I don’t know that either is particularly easy for me either. Hmmm…still pondering….

Heather: What’s the first thing you do when you finish writing a book?
Robyn: Do a little victory dance, then send an email to my critique partners. Then dance a little more singing, “I’m done, I’m done, I’m done!”. Then I probably tweet it and update my FB status and shout to the world that another book is finished.

Heather: What dreams have been realized as a result of your writing?
Robyn: Wow, there’s so much of the writing gig that’s hard, but when it comes down to it, what a huge blessing it is to be a writer. My world is so different because I’m a creative person, it colors every aspect of my life. I see story in so much of the world around me and I love that. Creating story and characters, I can’t imagine doing anything else with my time. Not only that but I’m able to write full-time and being able to do what I love while working from home, life just doesn’t get any better than that.

Heather: Tea or Coffee? And how do you take it?
Robyn: Most definitely tea. I hate coffee. I mean loathe it. I hate the way it smells and the taste. Bleck. But I do wish I liked coffee. It seems the drink to have and there are so many fancy ways you can have it. Tea is not as creative. Still I love tea, hot or cold and don’t even own a coffee pot.

Heather: What color would you make the sky if it wasn’t going to be blue anymore and why?
Robyn: Well, I love the blue sky, but I so love green. It’s my very favorite color and I find it soothing. That being said, since there is so much green on the ground most of the year, perhaps a nice shade of purple would be better. Clearly I’m not decisive enough to make such an important decision.

Heather: Dog person or cat person?
Robyn: Cat person, hands down. It’s not that I don’t like dogs. I do. I like other people’s dogs, but I don’t want one at my house. They dig outside, they smell, their tongues feel all smooth and slimy when they lick you and they bark. I’m totally a cat person though. Love them. Can’t imagine my life without them. Right now we have two and they’re my sweet, sweet babies. If my husband would let me, I’d totally be a crazy cat lady.

Heather: What is your favorite thing about you? J
Robyn: I love my friends and family, clearly things I wouldn’t have if I wasn’t me. I truly have the best of both and feel so blessed to have them. But I don’t suspect that’s what you were actually asking so to answer the real question, my sense of humor. I’m a real hoot. J


Heather’s GOTTA ASK – Robyn’s GOTTA ANSWER J

Heather: TREASURE ME is set around Loch Ness, and the other books in your Legend Hunters series involve Pandora’s Box and Atlantis. Are there any other Legends that fascinate you and why?

Robyn: Oh sure, there are always legends out there that fascinate me. Stonehenge, not necessarily a legend, per se, but still fascinating. Excalibur and the rest of the King Arthur myth. El Dorado, Solomon’s mines and plenty of other lost treasures. Jack the Ripper, the lost princes in the Tower of London, I could go on forever. There’s so much in history, myth, truth or combo of both that is so interesting.

GOT A QUESTION YOU’D LIKE TO ASK YOUR FANS?

Robyn: When you reach for a historical romance, what is your favorite type of story? Do you go for the story hooks (governess or marriage of convenience) or setting/time-period (Regency or Scottish) or do you look for tone (romp or deeply emotional)?

WILL YOU HAVE A DRAWING FROM THOSE LEAVING COMMENTS?**

Robyn: Yes, I’ll give away a copy of Desire Me to one winner.



Thanks so much for being with us today, Robyn! Where can your fans learn more about you on the web?

RobynDeHart on Twitter


**Note: Offer void where prohibited. Prizes will be mailed to North American addresses only. If an Advanced Reading Copy (ARC) is available, the author may utilize that option for International participants. Odds of winning vary due to the number of entrants.

Come back again Monday, when Cat hosts Kate Carlisle!

14 comments:

  1. One of my favorite themes in historical romances is when the H/h get caught in a compromising position and have to marry. These books generally have alot of humor in them, which I really enjoy.

    There are times when I look for deeply emotional books, other when I want something light and fun. It all depends on the mood I am in at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy marriage of convenience stories very much. I also like enemies/rivals into lovers stories. I like to see the couple work thru their conflicts. It is always a bumpy ride. I love that.

    Congratulations on your new release Robyn! I love the concept of this trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic interview, Robyn.

    I love all kinds of historicals, but I'm especially drawn to exotic locals. China, India, South America, Spain, Transylvania, you name it. Not that I don't adore Scottish and English settings, too. And gorgeous, evocative prose. Tone depends on my mood. There's nothing like a good laugh, or a good cry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robyn and welcome to GLIAS !

    I'm drawn to all things Scots...Give me a good Scot and I'm a goner. But if the story's good and the writing's great, I like ANY story.

    Thanks for being with us today.
    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for having me today! I'm glad to see there are other historical fans out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay somehow my comment got sent through before I was done. :-)

    June, I so agree, I love marriage of convenience stories, I've used that in several of my books, including this one. Well, sort of. But there's something so endearing about a couple that's stuck together learning to love inside the most intimate relationship you can have.

    Stacie, yes, that is a great combo as well. There's just such inherent tension that it just makes the pages crackle.

    Hi Jane! Exotic locals for historicals, you don't see that much, do you, but yes, it's very exciting when you do. Johanna Lindsey did a few of those that I cut my teeth on, as it were. *sigh* And you're so right tone is very dependent on mood. When you want something gritty, funny just won't do.

    Angi, yes, Scots are oh-so-appealing. This was my first and I'm thinking now, it won't be my last. Just to hear that accent in my ear when I write...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Robyn! Thanks so much for being here today. You ARE a real hoot, and a lovely, lovely person (not to mention talented writer!)

    I am just learning to write in public with the earbuds...now that the Boy is in preschool, I usually spend a couple of hours writing at a cafe. Gotta love soundtracks and classical music!

    I tend to look for a little meatier of a story...not dark, per se, but not super fluffy, either. I like emotional stories with humor, but something deeper running through, be it a light mystery or a compelling secondary plotline.

    Thanks again for being here with us, today, and I am SO excited to read Treasure Me...it's in my TBR pile. Going to have to reward myself soon and read it instead of just staring longingly at it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really don`t have a type of story line. I read the books for the authors first, and I have my certain ones and they are all good story lines,
    If you are a great author it does not matter what the story line is, you make the story happen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Robyn, wonderful blog! Thanks for joining us at GLIAS. Okay, Heather's gotta ask/you gotta answer... I have one for you.... I did some research and coffee was invented in 1822. Do your characters ever drink coffee? Or are your characters like you, strictly tea drinkers? ;)

    Gosh, regarding your question for readers. I love an unusual plot. An author has to have amazing storytelling skills to convince me she didn't just hope on the same old, same old to sell a book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather, my favorite soundtracks right now are Stardust and Pirates of the Caribbean. I like meatier stories too, if it's the right meat. I like emotion, but not a lot of angst. :-)

    Debra, I completely agree. I shop a lot by authors, have several auto-buys.

    Donnell, what a great question and as a matter of fact, yes I have had a coffee drinker. In Seduce Me both the hero and heroine prefer coffee to tea. Since I'm not a coffee drinker it was a bit of a surprise when I was initially writing the scene where that tidbit comes out. But it fit with those characters so I ran with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to read this book. I have loved this series and this books looks so good.

    My favorite plots are reunited past loves, friends to lovers, enemies to lovers and reconciliation stories. I pretty much love all stories that involve characters that already know eachother.

    iqb99@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't really have a favorite story line, instead I usually look for the tone. I want a really dark and deeply emotional read.

    Great interview!

    marieimy (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Danielle, I'm so glad you're enjoying the series. And you certainly hit on one of my favorite plots - I am such a sucker for the best friends turned lovers stories. I will pick a book up with that storyline every time.

    Mariee, tone is so important to a book, sometimes I really enjoy a dark book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! Mariee is our winner :)

    ReplyDelete