8/10/2011

Melissa Bourbon

PLEATING FOR MERCY
A Dressmaker’s Mystery
NAL
ISBN: 978-0451234360

All the Cassidy women possess special gifts. Harlow Jane Cassidy's is creating beautiful dresses. But she's about to discover secrets in her own family and another gift-one that can reach beyond the grave....

When her great-grandmother passes away, Harlow leaves her job as a Manhattan fashion designer and moves back to Bliss, Texas. But soon after she opens Buttons & Bows, a custom dressmaking boutique in the old farmhouse she inherited, Harlow begins to feel an inexplicable presence....

One of her first clients is her old friend Josie, who needs a gown for her upcoming wedding. But when Josie's boss turns up dead, it starts to look as if the bride-to-be may be wearing handcuffs instead of a veil. Suddenly, Josie needs a lot more from Harlow than the perfect dress. Can Harlow find the real killer-with a little help from beyond?

Read an Excerpt

MELISSA BOURBON, who sometimes answers to her Latina-by-marriage name Misa Ramirez, gave up teaching middle and high school kids in Northern California to write full-time amidst horses and Longhorns in North Texas. She fantasizes about spending summers writing in quaint, cozy locales, has a love/hate relationship with yoga and chocolate, is devoted to her family, and can’t believe she’s lucky enough to be living the life of her dreams.

She is the marketing director at Entangled Publishing, is the author of the Lola Cruz Mystery series with St. Martin’s Minotaur, A Magical Dressmaking Mystery series with NAL, and is the co-author of The Tricked-out Toolbox and two romantic suspense novels to be released in 2012.

ONE STITCH, TWO STITCH,
RED STICH, BLUE STICH

ANGI: How often to you get lost in a story?
MELISSA: Not nearly as often as I’d like! Time is short these days. 5 kids, a job as marketing director for Entangled Publishing ( http://entangledpublishing.com ), teaching, and writing means little time for unwinding with a good book. But I try to read every night before bed, even if it’s just for a few minutes.
ANGI: What's your favorite fairy tale?

MELISSA: I grew up loving Cinderella, but of the modern day Disney fairy tales, I love Mulan. I adore strong female characters who aren’t afraid to kick butt!
ANGI: What’s your favorite cartoon character?
MELISSA: I’ve never been a huge cartoon fan, but always liked Wilma Flintstone!
ANGI: Is there a playlist you’d recommend for reading your latest release?
MELISSA: Willie, Waylon, and the boys, Brad Paisley, Carrie Underwood, and anything that puts you in a down home country mood!
ANGI: What sound or noise do you love?
MELISSA: The crashing waves of the ocean. We moved from Northern California to North Texas 3 years ago and the ocean is one of the things I miss the most.
ANGI: Fairy Tale or Action Adventure?
MELISSA: Fairy Tale, although I love me some Indiana Jones and Harry Potter, but I guess those have fairy tale elements, don’t they? ;)
ANGI: What was the first story you remember writing?
MELISSA: I wrote a story in a college creative writing class about a stolen car and fingerless gloves. My teacher’s comment was to write about what you know. Little did he know that the story was true! ( http://misaramirez.com/about/)
ANGI: What’s your favorite movie of all time?
MELISSA: That’s a tough one! It used to be Gone With the Wind. It might still be, although that’s partly due to the memories that go along with it. I love The Joy Luck Club. And I’m a sucker for fun romantic comedies.
ANGI: Is writing or story-telling easier for you?
MELISSA: Writing a story is absolutely easier for me! I need time to think and process!
ANGI’S GOTTA ASK: Hey Melissa, I’d love to hear about your favorite scene from PLEATING FOR MERCY.
MELISSA’S GOTTA ANSWER: Hmm, I think one of my favorite scenes is Lola chasing down Thelma Louise, her grandmother’s feisty Nubian Goat. Thelma Louise is on the cover of the book and ended up playing a fun bit part in the book. She reprises her role in book 2, A FITTING END, which will be out in February.

WILL YOU HAVE A DRAWING FROM THOSE LEAVING COMMENTS?
Sure... a copy of PLEATING FOR MERCY!

Note: Offer void where prohibited. Prizes will be mailed to North America addresses only unless otherwise indicated by guest author. If an electronic Advanced Reading Copy (ARC) is available, the author may utilize that option for International participants. Odds of winning vary due to the number of entrants. It is the responsibility of the winning commenter to contact GLIAS with their email address or those participating may leave their email addresses in their public post.

?TODAY’S FAN QUESTION?
Have you ever used tape or staples to temporarily hem pants or another article of clothing?

YOU CAN FIND MELISSA
at her Website; Contact her: misa@misaramirez.com; find her on Facebook & Twitter: @melissabourbon or her Blogs: http://thenakedhero.com/ & http://killercharacters.com/

DON'T FORGET to FOLLOW us on Twitter or LIKE us on Facebook to keep up with all our guest authors and their prizes. Join me Tuesday when I host Sherry Isaac. And come back tomorrow when Donnell hosts Mike Befler. And Friday when Lena Davis will be Cat’s guest. ~Angi


17 comments:

  1. Welcome to GLIAS Melissa or Misa !!
    Your covers are such great scenes. Very colorful and interesting...I see something new everytime I look at them.

    Have I ever hemmed with tape or staples? Yes to both. I can take a hem, even use wonderunder...but I never seem to leave myself enough time and end up leaving them dragging or using masting tape.

    Glad you're hear and best of luck with the new series.
    ~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Sewing is an adaptable art, right? Thanks for having me here today, Angi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This author is as delightful as her books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with PJ the author does sound realy delightfull. Thanks for making me aware of her I must go out to find her books Angi ! And sewing has never been my strong point I get as far as looking at the supplies and calling my mom lol!

    I did once use a paperclip to keep a blouse from popping open after the button magically disappeared on me just 2 min befor a meeting , not a too bad temporary solution !

    Thanks for a great post Angi and Melissa

    Desere

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, thanks for being with us on GLIAS today. Wow, you're as busy as your protagonist. Stretching those seams rather thin, aren't you. I have the urge to lie down after reading all you're involved in. Your series sounds great, and a goat named Thelma Louise. Priceless.

    And to your question... have we ever used tape and staples, of course... Both :) Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Melissa, I love the goat and her name. Did you ever have a goat in real life?

    I've read the first Lola Cruz mystery and your Christmas short, and I love her. I'll definitely have to check out your NAL books.

    As for the hem question, I, too, have used both in a pinch. I learned to sew without a machine, so I usually hem stuff while I'm watching TV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun interview. Can't go wrong with a goat named Thelma Louise.

    And yes, I have definitely duct taped hemmed my pants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Interview! Your book sounds cute! Cannot wait to meet the Cassidy women and their talents!

    When it comes to sewing, or hemming my clothes, I will bring them to a family member or the local seamstress before I do anything else. So need less to say, I go around with un-hemmed clothing all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You all are so funny! I didn't expect so many people to have used tape, etc, in wardrobe pinch ;)

    It's so fun to be here! I LOVE the Cassidy clan... especially the Butch Cassidy connection. And Thelma Louise feels like my own personal goat (nope, never had one of my own, Liz!). But I did get to tour Latte Da dairy farm nearby and that was fun. Goats are a kick and it's been fun working their antics into the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Misa, My mom has a bit of property that she rents to a goat farmer (herder?). The goats keep the property "mowed." She loves 'em. Especially when the "kids" arrive.

    ~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have used tape before in an emergency but most of the time I use a needle and thread. Safty pens come in real handy at times to. I use to carry a few safty pens with me for emergencys. You never know when you may need one.

    lead[at]hotsheet[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Melissa,

    I have! I used staples and safety pins for pants too long and shorts too low. Pants I usually get them hemmed but sometimes I have to aritifically fold them so they can work with heels and runners.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, Misa. This is my 3rd try. If I can’t get it to work I’m sending to Angi who’ll put it on for me.
    (Who actually had a message that BLOGGER was down.)

    I’m so excited about your book. I’ve been eagerly waiting since I heard you were going this direction.
    Can I get it at B & N either for my Nook or in paperback?

    Yes, I have absolutely hemmed with tape. I can use a needle and thread, but have trouble with the threading process nowadays. :-)

    Do you have problems with your fans keeping up with you when you’re writing under a different name? And lastly, when do you sleep, lady? Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  14. CONGRATULATIONS, NA ! You are the winner of PLEATING FOR MERCY (number drawn by Random.org)

    Shoot us an email with your information and we'll connect you with Misa to collect your book.

    Thanks everyone for sticking through the BZLOGGER burbs Wednesday...and a special thanks to Misa...I man Melissa for being our guest.

    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Melissa, you new books sound very intriguing. Thanks for sharing and best of luck with sales.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just read PLEATING FOR MERCY last weekend and adored it! Way to go, Melissa!!

    Don't need to be entered, but yes. I have used both staples and tape to hold a hem. I think I also used paperclips one time. The plastic coated kind that come in colors. They blended with the garment color. And, hey, it was dark. :)

    Light,
    Nancy Haddock

    ReplyDelete