12/27/2012

All the Broken Pieces Get Lost with Author Cindi Madsen

Get Lost in a Story Readers, today, I am pleased to  host the prolific talent, Cindi Madsen.  Cindi writes a everything from contemporary, young adult, paranormal. . .but as Cindi likes to say, she includes romance because romance rocks the house!  Please welcome Cindi Madsen to Get Lost in a Story!
 

What if your life wasn’t your own?


Liv comes out of a coma with no memory of her past and two distinct, warring voices inside her head. Nothing, not even her reflection, seems familiar. As she stumbles through her junior year, the voices get louder, insisting she please the popular group while simultaneously despising them. But when Liv starts hanging around with Spencer, whose own mysterious past also has him on the fringe, life feels complete for the first time in, well, as long as she can remember.

Liv knows the details of the car accident that put her in the coma, but as the voices invade her dreams, and her dreams start feeling like memories, she and Spencer seek out answers. Yet the deeper they dig, the less things make sense. Can Liv rebuild the pieces of her broken past, when it means questioning not just who she is, but what she is?
And now... let's get to know author Cindi Madsen.

DONNELL:  Hi, Cindi;  First question:  Do you prefer big cities or small towns?

CINDI: I grew up in a small town & I love it there. But I also love living in a city. So hard choice. I think city but visiting the ranch often is perfect, which is what I do now.

DONNELL:  Favorite room in your house.

CINDI: family room with the giant TV my husband convinced me to get & I now love it.

DONNELL:  Where will we find you if you’re not writing?

CINDI:  Watching TV or movies with my husband or out to eat with family or friends

DONNELL:  Are you athletic?

CINDI: hahaha. In grade school, I could care less about athletics & I was slow & awful at sports. I got into dancing in high school & that suited me much better. Now I force myself to run. So that’s the long way of saying I’m reluctantly athletic, but don’t throw me the ball if you’re looking for a win.

DONNELL:  I think you’re partial  to Young Adult.  But is it your favorite genre?

CINDI: I actually like both young adult and adult, depending on my mood. Whatever I read these days, though, the romantic element needs to be strong. I’ve always loved a good mystery. In high school, when the girls in my class were reading Sweet Valley High books, I was reading novels about serial killers (on the downlow, because I knew my mom wouldn’t want me to read them)

DONNELL:  What motivates you?  What makes you drag your feet?

CINDI: Mountain Dew motivates me. I also blast the playlist I made for my book while writing. And if I have a book or show I want to watch, I’ll tell myself I can after I get my word count for the day. Snowy days make me drag my feet, and I’m also slightly zombie-ish before 10 am, because I usually stay up waaaay too late.

DONNELL:  What’s in your refrigerator right now?

CINDI: Mountain Dew, apples and oranges, and milk—my family goes through 6 gallons a week, so I have to constantly buy it.

DONNELL:  Here’s a tough one for you – you might need a calculator.  How many shoes do you have in your closet?

CINDI: If I went to count I probably wouldn’t get my word count and errands done for the day. Lol! Last time I organized my closet it was around 50. I’d guess it’s probably closer to 60 now. What can I say, I really, really LOVE shoes, especially tall heels and awesome boots.

DONNELL:  Would you consider yourself organized?

CINDI:  hahaha. If organized means I can usually find my laptop, then sure. I have to set alerts in my phone for everything or I forget, so that saves me from being too late. I live in fear that people will stop by unexpectedly & see the state of madness my house is usually in.

DONNELL:  What’s your proudest accomplishment?

CINDI: my kids. They’re good, sweet kids and they make me laugh. Love them like crazy.

DONNELL:  If you could meet anyone, past or present, who would it be, and why?

CINDI: Hmmm. I think I’d go with Susan B. Anthony. Or Mary Shelley. Yes, I’m cheating and picking both because it’s too hard to pick between them. And if we’re going for more-shallow present day option, I’d pick Jared Leto, because, well Google him and see for yourself. The guy is super hot AND in a band. (See, now I super cheated with three answers.)


AND NOW IT'S CINDI'S TURN -- TIME TO ASK THE READER A QUESTION:  What books did you have to hide you were reading when you were younger? Do you still like reading them now?

About Cindi:  Cindi Madsen sits at her computer every chance she gets, plotting revising, and falling in love with her characters. Sometimes it makes her a crazy person. Without it, she’d be even crazier. She has way too many shoes, but can always find a reason to buy a new pretty pair, especially if they’re sparkly, colorful, or super tall. She loves music, dancing, and wishes summer lasted all year long. She lives in Colorado (where summer is most definitely NOT all year long) with her husband and three children.

You can find out more about Cindi at http://cindimadsen.com & follow her on twitter http://twitter.com/#!/CindiMadsen
 

5 comments:

  1. This interview cracked me up! I can tell Cindi has a great sense of humor. I have read this book and LOVED it! With lots of unexpected twists and turns and a great romance, it kept me turning pages til way to late at night! From a fellow shoe lover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea that she was reading about serial killers when others were reading valley girl stories. And I love that romance is such an important focal point in her stories. Just wish I could wear the cute shoes this woman has. Seriously, I think she needs therapy, or an additional closet :) Welcome to Get Lost in a Story, Cindi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to add a comment, but don't see it. Hopefully 2 won't show up in a few minutes. Just wanted to say thanks for having me! Such a fun interview. And I could totally get down with the additional closet for my shoes thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog, Cindi! I SO want to see your shoe collection! LOL! Let's see...I was reading Patricia Matthews and Joanna Lindsey long before I should have been! This is a wonderful story and I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually can't recall hiding any books. My range is wider now than it was back then though.

    ReplyDelete