6/24/2013

Get Lost with Delilah Marvelle in Paris






Educating one's self in the art of love takes time...

Lady Caroline Arabella Starling has been in love with her older brother's best friend, Caldwell, since she was thirteen. Unfortunately, too many things keep getting in the way of proving her love. Her four younger sisters, her mother, her brother, all of society and the man she loves himself. But where there is a will, there is a way, and Caroline is about to redefine not only respectability but true love.

Ronan Henry Dearborn, the fourth Marquess of Caldwell, lives to see himself through Caroline's eyes but knows he is leading a life unworthy of her or her dreams. He will do anything to keep her from learning the truth about himself and his past, including keeping her at a distance. But when he and Caroline get tangled in a situation neither of them can get out of, the only way to create a happily-ever-after between them is to take up the advice of a French courtesan who re-educates them both in the art of love.



Delilah Marvelle is the winner of RT Reviewer's Choice for Best Sensual Historical Romance of the Year and had Booklist name her historical romance 'Forever and a Day' one of the TOP 10 Romance Novels of 2012. When she isn't writing, she's digging through research books. You can visit her at her website at http://www.DelilahMarvelle.com or her blog that explores the naughtier side of history at http://www.DelilahMarvelle.blogspot.com

Delilah (and yes Delilah is her real name) recently returned from an anniversary trip to Paris. On a scale from one to ten, I'd say an anniversary vacation to Paris is an eleven. I enjoyed Delilah's daily Facebook snapshots from various locations in and around the City of Light so much, I asked her to share some highlights with Get Lost in a Story readers.


View of the Seine and Eiffel Tower from the
gargoyle gallery, Notre Dame 

Jillian: Why Paris? Why not Prague, Sarajevo? (kidding) No really, what was your inspiration for Paris? 
Delilah: I have wanted to go to Paris since I was sixteen. I took four years of French in high school and so the excitement for Paris has stayed with me ever since. Aside from being able to celebrate my 19th year anniversary in Paris with my husband, I mainly went there to do a ton of research for an upcoming series (two of them!). A lot of French characters keep popping up in my head and so I knew I had to just go and see the dang city, lol. 
Jillian: Name your top three sightseeing favorites:
Delilah: That's a hard one because Paris is full of them but here is the top three I would give if I had a gun to my head:
1.) Jacques-Mart Andre Museum
2.) Louvre
3.) Eiffel Tower at night
4.) Because I can't stop! Being at the very top of Notre Dame
(And Versailles comes in 5th only because the crowds didn't make it fun. But the gardens?!...oooooo) 
Jillian: What was your best and worst adventure in the City of Light?
Hero of all Delilah's novels, Mr. Marvelle,
rowing on the grand canal at Versailles.

Delilah: Best? Taking a boat on the grand canal at Versailles. My husband rowed (slaved) while I feasted on chocolates and lounged on the boat, enjoying the view of the Versailles Palace. It was a perfect day and soooo romantic.
Worst? Walking 18 miles in a single day where it rained ALL DAY. So I was wet and tired and miserable....

Jillian: One of the great treats of Paris is all the art museums. Share an artist you discovered or gained a new appreciation for while you were there.
Delilah: The art museums were AMAZING. One of the artists I discovered that I absolutely fell in love with is Henri Gervex. His painting Rolla was from my era and just stunning. It was 'the morning after' between a gentleman and a 'lady'. Mesmerizing. It captured a historical, erotic moment.


Rolla, Henry Gervex
Jillian: Best fast food in Paris?
Delilah: The double hot dog and cheese on bread with dijon. Holy Gawd.
Jillian: Best beverage?
Delilah: Their sparkling lemonade. So good.
Jillian: I want one! Help me, how would I order that in a cafe? Citronnade avec gazeus? 
Jillian: What's your macaroon color? 
Delilah: Raspberry (pink!). But I looooved them all.


From left to right: Holy Gawd double hot dog and cheese on bread with
dijon, Delilah sipping sparkling lemonade, and....les macaroons!

Jillian: There will be a new book set in Paris...mais oui?
Parisian brothel remains
Delilah: Mais oui! lol. That was why I went to Paris, was to be able to research several books in two separate upcoming series. In particular, naughty history. I visited courtesan houses (there is only one left standing in Paris) and brothels from days gone by that look NOTHING like they did back when. Only things like the marble staircase remains. There was SO much to research, even though I was in Paris for 16 days, it still wasn't enough. I only tracked down about 75% of what I intended to do. C'est la vie, as they say. It means I'll have to go back, lol.
Jillian: I'm not sure you can ever get enough of Paris...and wow, this was such a fun interview! Thank you so much for sharing your romantic vacay with us, Delilah. And for those of you who haven't read a sexy, sensuous Delilah Marvelle novel you are in for a real treat!

Commenters, Delilah would like to know: If you could visit one place in the world, what would it be and why? She'll be giving away three e-copies of LADY OF PLEASURE for Nook, Kobo or Amazon to three lucky commenters. And please remember to leave your contact information if you wish to be in the raffle for giveaways!


***Note: Offer void where prohibited. Prizes will be mailed to North America  addresses only. If an Advanced Reading Copy (ARC) is available, the author may utilize that option for International participants. Odds of winning vary due to the number of entrants.

15 comments:

  1. I need to get back to Paris as well, but I have to spend an entire summer being a happy turista in Italy and Spain...have to!

    Great hosting you today at Get Lost in a Story! Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  2. One place in the world is tough to pick. I think I would pick London since I have read so many stories set there.
    mce1011 AT aol DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun interview !

    And my ONE place varies from day-to-day. THIS Monday, with the moon that's been keeping me awake...I just want to be on a beach.
    ~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paris again for their macaroons...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tahiti because I haven't been there before

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paris!!! I've yet to go, but hubby and I have it on the short list of places to visit :) We're just waiting for our 3-year-old to...not be three anymore. lol.

    Scotland (Edinburgh and the highlands, to be exact), London (again) and the countryside this time, and Tuscany are on that list too.

    Love the recap of your trip -- thanks for sharing!! :)

    P.S. How good is your French? I took 4 years in HS, as well, but it's not stayed with me very well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make me want to go to Paris right away. I've been dreaming of traveling to Scotland for a while now, but France is just a hop, skip and a jump away, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I could visit one place in the world it would be London because after reading a zillion historical romances set in that city and its environs, I'd love to see what I've been reading about for so long. Of course I'd love to see the entirety of Great Britain, but that's more than one place. :D

    Barbed1951 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, an anniversary trip to Paris-- straight out of a book! Happy Anniversary & Congratulations. Welcome to Get Lost in a Story. I'm with Maureen, that's a hard question. I'm not much on big cities, but I would love to try a coast for a change. Live in the mountains! Great interview, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I would visit Rome or London. Rome because I love all that old stuff and London because I read about it in all the historical romances and because of Doctor Who! lol

    annah.schoonover@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ireland is my destination hot spot. My oldest went to school for a year and loved. I lived vicariously through her for the time being. Crlossing fingers. I will get there some day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ireland, or Scotland

    donna(dot)durnell(at)sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Paris sounds amazing! Took 2 years of French and still haven't gone there myself, but one day it'll come my way. If i can visit anywhere I'll love to visit England and Scotland!! I absolutely love Historical romances set in these locations and would love to visit them just to get closer to the places. Seeing castles and the little villages are also on the lists.

    kp_kazamei(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. How FUN was that interview?!
    Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

    I would love LOVE to visit Venice, Italy *SIGH*....

    HUGS to both of you!

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  15. IRELAND OR JAPAN...GREAT INTERVIEW...Delilah, LOVED THE PHOTOGRAPHS, GLAD YOU HAD A FANTASTIC TIME!

    ReplyDelete