11/14/2013

Welcome Mary Sullivan




Maureen, thank you for having me today on Get Lost in a Story!

I grew up in Toronto where exposure to multiculturalism started early with my Macedonian friends and Italian neighbors. I think that’s where my love of foods from varied cultures started. I studied photography before taking up darkroom printing as a career, which I loved. While I stayed home to start a family, that career disappeared with the advent of computers.

Writing novels seemed like a good fit—working alone in a small room on creative projects. Sounds a lot like darkroom printing ☺

My ninth Superromance, BECAUSE OF AUDREY, came out in October. It’s still available at all of the usual online venues in paperback and ebooks. For the first time, readers can find Superromances in ebook format bundled in groups of three at a great price. My October book shares space with the wonderful and talented Linda Warren and Stephanie Doyle.


GET TO KNOW MARY SULLIVAN

MAUREEN:  What’s your favorite holiday?

MARY:  Oh, definitely Christmas. I’m barely holding myself back from playing Christmas music now, but I’ll force myself to wait until the first of December. My daughter and I have a Christmas Eve tradition that I love. We have our own mini wine and cheese party in the evening. Every year, we try three or four new-to-us cheeses. We live in Canada, so try to make two or three of those cheeses Canadian. Oh, and there’s chocolate for dessert, of course ☺

MAUREEN:  What’s your favorite hobby?

MARY:  I absolutely adore puzzles. I’m addicted to word puzzles, particularly cryptic crossword puzzles. I need to do them every day. I love doing them almost as much as I love reading good books!

MAUREEN:  What’s the best vacation you’ve ever been on?

MARY:  My favorite vacation was a dogsledding course I took through Outward Bound a few years ago. I loved it! The dogs were amazing and the scenery in Algonquin Park in northern Ontario spectacular. When I was young I skied in Vermont, Utah, British Columbia and Quebec amid some of the most beautiful scenery on earth and yet, memories of that simple dogsledding course linger.

MAUREEN:  What’s the most romantic thing anyone ever did for you?

MARY:  I was sitting in my car in a far corner of a mall’s parking lot on the phone with a friend and crying my heart out because I had just received bad news. It was the summertime and there were no other cars around. The windows were all open. Suddenly, a man appeared beside my driver’s door. I screamed and dropped the phone, but then he handed me an ice cream cone. He said he had seen me when he’d driven into the mall and couldn’t stand how sad I looked. He parked, went into the mall, bought me the ice cream cone and then walked all the way to the far end of the parking lot to me. He told me to feel better soon and then walked away. I guess it wasn’t exactly romantic, but it was a sweet, spontaneous act of kindness that made me feel much better—you know, one of those positive, uplifting experiences that gives you faith in human nature, a small but kind gesture that I won’t ever forget.

MAUREEN:  What book would you want with you if you were stranded on a desert island?

MARY:  MORNING GLORY by LaVyrle Spencer, the book that started me on my romance novel-writing journey. I’ve read it so many times, the last time I picked it up my copy fell apart in my hands.

GIVEAWAY!

Mary would like to give away a copy of her October Superromance, BECAUSE OF AUDREY, to someone who comments today.

QUESTION FROM MARY

My question to you is, what is your favorite romance novel of all time? Or, if you don’t read romance, your favorite book?

KEEP IN TOUCH WITH MARY

I enjoy hearing from readers!
Website: www.marysullivanbooks.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mary.sullivan.1460
Twitter: @MSullivanWrites

7 comments:

  1. Welcome back to GLIAS, Mary. Congrats on your release.
    I couldn't possibly narrow down my favorite to one. It might be my favorite for the month. >>grin<<
    ~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angi, it's great to be here again. I think the whole desert island question is so difficult because there are so many good books out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My all time favorite romance book is Good Time Girl by Candace Shuler. A Harlequin Blaze. Every time I read it, I still love it.

    yenastone at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good, Tammy! Keepers give us so much pleasure over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorites is YOURS UNTIL DAWN by Teresa Medeiros. The H was an earl, blinded in the war and abandoned by his fiancee. He's given up and spends his days stumbling around his house crashing into things and terrorizing the servants. His brother hires a nurse to help him deal with his blindness and he is not happy. *sigh*

    Normally I'm not a re-reader, but I've read this one several times and it's just as good each time.

    Marcy Shuler
    bmndshuler(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a tough one. It depends on my mood. Sometimes I like something light by Julia Quinn (it is in his kiss).. Sometimes I like something a bit darker by Julie Anne long... (Like no other lover)...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite one is still Love's Emerald Flame Harlequin Superromance, 2 1980 by Willa Lamber, I still have mine and love it. It's the one that got me into the superromances.
    Congratulations on your new book I'm looking forward to reading it.
    Penney

    ReplyDelete