3/13/2015

DC Thome is rockin the house with his fun humor and lots of books





Get Lost in a Story is laughing too hard cause our guest D C Thome is one pretty funny guy. 

A SHORT BIO on D C Thome: Let’s get this out of the way right off: I’m a man. I was a newspaper reporter for several years, and have been writing columns and feature articles about car technology and other automotive topics for 17 years. (Note: I can tell you how dual turbo-charging increases gas mileage, but I cannot fix your car unless it can be done with duct tape.) Before I wrote any novels, I wrote 20 screenplays, four of which were optioned by movie companies (one of them twice!). None of them was ever made into a movie, but Michelle Phillips was signed to play the lead role in a script called Metal Mom that came pretty close. I grew up in Wisconsin and live in a tiny suburb near downtown Milwaukee with my wife Mary Jo.

Vicki: This pix leaves me speechless. 

Three fun, sexy books...one low price. One woman sets out to destroy a men's entertainment empire and opens a Pandora's box that changes the lives of three smart, powerful women who have everything—but love. Humor, double-crosses, lifestyles of the rich and famous—and HEAs for everyone.

Find Fast Lane trilogy at: Amazon


Q n A for D C Thome:
Vicki: D C, I’m a huge handbag girl. What's your favorite accessory?
D C: You’re in luck! The only accessory I have is a small olive-green canvas knapsack I bought on my first day of college. The strap has worn through so many times that I’ve had to repair some of the repairs. I mostly use it to carry extra layers of clothes everywhere I go, because I live in Wisconsin and it can be winter on any day of the year.
Vicki: and you were worried about not having an accessory. lol

Vicki: How is it working with hot guys and sexy women all day?
D C: I take it you mean the hot guys and sexy women I create. Right? The guys are okay. I mean, they’re hot, and all (though not of them has Massive Abs of Doom). I like writing about women more. My female characters think about the stuff I think about, so we can have lots of good conversations. If you mean literal sexy women, Mary Jo and I work in separate offices in our house, and I see her a lot. That’s usually better than hanging out with the people I make up.

That said, I’ve literally—and I’m literally using the word to mean “literally”—fallen in love with some of my heroines. The first was Dani Stahl, the single mom in a screenplay called Terminal Sex that got even closer to being made into a movie than Metal Mom. Dani was tired of being alone and ventured into what in 1994 was the brand-new world of erotic online fantasies, only to end up being stalked by a maniac. She not only prevailed over the stalker, but also snagged a great boyfriend.

When I was writing Malibu Bride, the second in my Fast Lane series, I fell hard for the heroine, Sushma. Like me, her birth sign is Cancer, and she loves a lot, but has a crusty exterior. I had to give her up to the hero, Holt, but he’s a better match for her, anyway—the kind of guy who isn’t intimidated when Sushma brandishes her pincers—and appreciates her feistiness. So she’s in good hands. Still, it took me a few months to get over her. Mary Jo was really understanding. She’s a Capricorn. If she’d fallen for a hero she wrote, I probably would’ve taken it personally.

Vicki: Be honest, when reading...do you put yourself in the heroine’s role?
D C: Yeah. But I don’t get why she’s so into shoes.
Vicki: It's a bling thing for the feet.

Vicki: Which era would you least like to have lived in, fashion-wise and why?
D C: The Old West. It was hot, but everyone was wearing layers and layers of clothing all the time. What, shorts hadn’t been invented yet?
Vicki: I'm sure shorts were invented when the knees wore out and the bottoms were ripped off. They just weren't a fashion statement.

Vicki: If you were a t-shirt, what color would you be and why?
D C: Orange. I actually own at least eight orange T-shirts. Orange goes great with my olive skin, especially in summer when I’m tan. I think people assume I’m a sunny, happy guy when I’m wearing an orange shirt.

Now I’m thinking I’m an orange T-shirt that Sushma’s wearing. Wow…I look good on her.
Vicki: Lordy.

Vicki: What will always make you smile, even on a bad day?
D C: Mary Jo. My kids, who are grownups now. So many memories of when they were little, of course, but it feels good to know they’re out on their own. My daughter’s a lawyer who works with the very poor, and my son is a bass player and singer in a death-metal band whose day job is reconditioning and welding 300-pound diamond-tipped stone cutting saw blades. They both make me very proud.

Also, the Sex Pistols, Mott the Hoople, and The Pretty Reckless. I listen to those bands with the volume way up to cure headaches.

Vicki: What’s the best birthday (or any holiday) present you ever received?
D C: My mom made a really great lasagna for my 17th birthday. I still remember that lasagna. Juicy. Big chunks of ricotta. Al dente on top. Absolutely perfect.
Vicki: I want one! Oh!!! remember you liked my spaghetti pie recipe. lolol

Vicki: What drew you to write in the genre(s) you do?
D C: True story: Mary Jo and I write advertising and journalism copy for businesses and publications. At the end of 2009, none of our clients had any work for us. Mary Jo knew a woman who was publishing erotic romance novellas and announced she was going to write one in two weeks. I thought, “If she’s man enough to do that, I should be, too.”

A few days later, she said she couldn’t write one because she couldn’t even read one. I admitted that I couldn’t read one without laughing every third page. But I liked the story I’d started, and since I was on page 30 and nothing amorous had happened, I figured it was more of a contemporary romance with a lot of humor and a little suspense. So I kept going. Half of the 20 screenplays I’d written had female leads, so that wasn’t a problem. As I said, I’d rather write about women anyways. Women are fascinating.

Vicki: Who's your celebrity crush and why?
D C: Right now, it’s Taylor Momsen, who used to be on Gossip Girl (which I never saw), but now is the lead singer and song writer of The Pretty Reckless. I admire young people who challenge societal norms; we need more of that.

Furthermore, she looks like Douglyss, the heroine of San Fernando Dreams, and her lyrics sound like lyrics Douglyss would write or words she’d say. I’d never heard of The Pretty Reckless and knew nothing about Taylor Momsen until after I wrote Dreams, so when I first played the music for Mary Jo, she said, “How did you create a pissed-off 21-year-old female celebrity who actually exists?”

FIND DC at:  Email  Man Writing a Romance  Facebook  Twitter


                                  Find Palm Springs Heat at: Amazon 
Find Malibu Bride at: Amazon



                              Find San Fernando Dreams at: Amazon 


 Find Man Writing a Romance at:Amazon



Vicki: D C, What's up next? An urban fantasy/supernatural romance, My Fairy Dogmother. It’s about a young woman, Ella Sanders, who does something nice for a homeless woman known as The Dog Lady, who turns out to be a fairy who makes her beautiful. The thing is, when Ella looks in the mirror, she sees herself as she always has, not as they way other people see her. Available summer 2015.
Vicki: OMG, that's a keeper!

D C: Here’s my question for GLIAS readers (please leave your email with your comment for the drawing): When you read, do you ever put yourself into the hero’s role, or at least, get into his head? 


10 comments:

  1. What fun thank you.

    I doubt I would be brave enough to get into the head of any hero I have read.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. Let me suggest this: Next book you read, look through the hero's eyes for just one scene. You'll probably find out something you like about him that you might not have thought of otherwise. Besides, heroes in romance novels always end up being pretty good guys.

      Delete
  2. Good morning, DC and welcome to GLIAS. I would love to read the fairy Dogmother story.

    Good morning, Mary Preston!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, you're on the list. Be advised, though...I've been working on this story since my daughter was seven; she's now a lawyer.

      Delete
  3. Welcome to GLIAS DC !! Best of luck with the books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I don't

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But now the idea's in your head. Bwah-hah-hah-hah.

      Delete
  5. Ill read and maybe it takes thAt lomg to get it right

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Mary Preston! DC will be contacting you soon. Hugs! vb

    ReplyDelete