3/24/2017

Amanda McIntyre Author Spotlight-Jessica Jefferson!

I'm thrilled today to have Jessica Jefferson visiting here on Get Lost in a Story!! I first met Jessica through the historical event at the Romantic Times Booklovers convention and found an instant admiration
for her warmth and wit! And when you read her work you can see that shining through
in her writing!

*Editor's note: RT Booklover attendees! Be sure to find Jessica at the Petticoats & Pistols Historical Garden party, WED. May 3 at the RT Booklover's Conference in Atlanta, GA.

Let's learn more about Jessica!

Jessica Jefferson makes her home in Almost-Chicago with her husband, two young daughters, French bulldog Lulu, and English bulldog Pete.  When she's not busy trying to find middle-ground between being a modern career woman and Suzy-Homemaker, she loves to watch "Real Housewives of [insert city here]" and performing unnecessary improvements to her home and property. 

Jessica writes Regency-era historical romance with a modern twist where she invites her readers to fall in love with romance again

Connect with Jessica!

WEBSITE * FACEBOOK * TWITTER * AMAZON AUTHORPAGE * GOODREADS




Cue King and I music...GETTING TO KNOW YOU~~
Amanda: How often to you get lost in a story?
JESSICA: I often get lost in a story.  When I’m hooked, there’s no doing anything else until I’ve finished the book. Kids are fending for themselves at dinner, laundry piles up – it takes a lot to take me away.  When the Outlander series came out, I decided I needed to read the whole series before I could allow myself to really enjoy the television version. Those are some pretty long books and I couldn’t stop. I became the least productive member of society until I’d finished the very last one.


Amanda: Be honest, when reading...do you put yourself in the heroine’s role?

JESSICA:  Not exactly. When I write, I do take a lot from my personal experiences. I can’t help but use my own stories as inspiration. So, I don’t picture myself as the heroine, but I do have the heroine make up for some of my past mistakes. She is much more likely to say the things I only wish I had.

Amanda: If you couldn’t be a writer anymore, what profession would you take up?

JESSICA:  I was working full time in healthcare.  I am a nurse by training (having once gone to school for English to be a teacher, and then picking up a nursing degree since there were so many jobs out there), but went into an area of work that is usually done by an industrial engineer. After publishing my first book, I left my full time position and was working in healthcare as a part time consultant.  A year ago I was offered a full time position as a consultant in a health system and I couldn’t say no. I actually love this position, not as much as writing, but pretty close. I help others improve their work, look at strategy and make it happen, and improve the quality of care they provide. It’s really exciting work.

Amanda: What is your favorite tradition from your childhood that you would love to pass on or did pass on to your children?


 JESSICA:  We didn’t have a whole lot of money when I was growing up, so we went camping for fun. Real camping – tents, fire, sleeping bags on the ground. None of that air mattress business. I wanted to pass that onto my kids. I took them a few times. It seemed like every time we went, it would rain or be frigidly cold. So, we actually purchased an RV. It’s not exactly camping as I remember it. We have a fridge, a nice shower, and multiple televisions, so that’s not really roughing it, but the kids get the general idea. It’s all about getting them out in nature, away from their phones.
Amanda: What does it mean to love someone?
JESSICA:  These are the best interview questions. So, I think when you love someone you find yourself willing to make sacrifices you wouldn’t have thought you could otherwise. I think if you truly love someone else, you work on being a better version of yourself.  I have to tell you, this is not an easy question, but it’s a good one. It really makes you think.
Your cover is absolutely beautiful!  PLEASE TELL US A BIT ABOUT YOUR CURRENT RELEASE!
SECOND CHANCE MARQUESS  By JESSICA JEFFERSON
BUY AT AMAZON
When Wilhelmina Turner’s younger sister runs off with a young Lothario, she has no choice but to turn to the notorious rake who broke his promise and her heart, for assistance. George Bartlett, the Marquess of Chesterton, hasn’t forgotten the woman who hurt him so many years ago, but can’t deny her request, knowing that his brother’s reputation and fortune is at risk. A series of misfortunes leave the straight-laced widow and committed bachelor stranded, sharing both close quarters and old secrets. But when morning comes, will this unlikely pair find a second chance at love?
An excerpt of SECOND CHANCE MARQUESS
“Fine.” He looked away first, turning his attention back to the items he’d collected upon his desk. “If you want to join me, then you may.”
She squared her shoulders and stood a bit straighter having won their duel of wills. “Good.”
Without another word or a single glance, Chesterton left the room.
Not one to be left behind, Wilhelmina hurried after him, through the study and up the stairs.
“Where are we going?” she asked once they’d reached the top, breathless from the burst of activity.
He strode down the corridor, seemingly unaffected by the brisk climb. “To my bedroom.”
She immediately stopped. “Your bedroom? Why ever would we go in there?”
Chesterton turned back to her, one sardonic eyebrow arched high. “To change,” he answered. “You didn’t expect me to head out in this, did you?” He turned and continued toward the room, looking back at her before entering. “Are you coming?” he asked, voice smooth as warm chocolate.
This wasn’t the first time she’d been lured into George’s bedroom. He’d been an earl, the courtesy title bestowed upon him at birth, but more than that, he’d been a gentleman. Apparently, he’d lost that when he’d inherited the Marquisate. His bedroom was no longer an inviting sanctuary, and this invitation was not one of love as it had once been, but a lewd proposition, tenderness replaced by cruelty, as he watched expectantly for her reaction.
“I don’t think that’ll be necessary,” she stuttered, trying in vain to remain calm and collected as he started to untie the sash about his waist holding his robe closed. He let it fall to the ground and the robe opened, revealing his chest and torso in all its naked glory.
And it was indeed glorious.
She quickly averted her glance, whipping her head around and staring attentively at the painting on the wall.
“Is something the matter, Mrs. Turner?”
She was not about to play this game. She didn’t have the time, and he didn’t deserve the enjoyment it would undoubtedly bring him to see her suffer so. And most importantly, she couldn’t play because she knew good and well that she had no chance of winning.
This sounds delightful!! Let the fun continue!! 
LEAVE A COMMENT TO ENTER TO WIN A KINDLE COPY OF JESSICA'S NEWEST RELEASE, SECOND CHANCE MARQUESS AND HER FIRST BOOK, COMPROMISING MISS TISDALE. 
(*winner will be notified by email*)

** Netflix is more popular than ever, thanks to the idea of binge-watching an entire series in one sitting. Do you binge read? And if so, what's your favorite binge-worth series?

 










6 comments:

  1. no, I don't

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once in awhile... sometimes I hold off on a trilogy to enjoy it all at once. Love the sound of this book... thanks for sharing! greenshamrock atcox dotnet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that! I love discovering new-to-me authors who've been around for a little while. Usually they've got a nice backlist and I can get my fill. None of that waiting business (Diana Gabaldon!)

      Delete
  3. Binge read--but of course. The problem is, anything connected is allowed when I start. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to reading this book. I have enjoyed your other books. I love getting lost in a book, but it's much harder now that I have kids.

    ReplyDelete