9/05/2018

Meet Hero & Rancher Ethan Blackwell

THE BLACKWELL BROTHERS ARE COMING HOME…
…whether they want to or not.

THE RANCHER’S RESCUE
He isn’t home to stay
Until a mother-to-be changes his mind

Ethan Blackwell is back in Falcon Creek to save his family ranch after his grandfather disappears. When Grace Gardner reveals she’s pregnant with his child, she becomes Ethan’s top priority. But can he be the man he wants to be—preserving the Blackwell legacy and making a life with Grace—in a place he never planned to settle down?


Cari Lynn Webb lives in South Carolina with her husband, daughters and assorted four-legged family members. She's been blessed to see the power of true love in her grandparent's 70-year marriage and her parent's marriage of over 50 years. She knows love isn't always sweet and perfect, it can be challenging, complicated and risky. But she believes happily-ever-afters are worth fighting for. She loves to connect with readers.
           

THE Q&A
ANGI:  Writing a continuity series takes a lot of work and cross-referencing with your co-authors. Is there any back story you needed for your characters that either didn’t make it into the book (no spoilers) or that you needed to brainstorm from a co-author?
CARI LYNN: Ben Blackwell and Ethan Blackwell are twin brothers. Ben’s story is The Rancher’s Redemption by Melinda Curtis. Melinda and I worked together quite a bit on the brothers from what they looked like to their childhood. I had several scenes in my book that referenced the antics of the Blackwell brothers as children. I used my own three brothers as inspiration as well as my husband’s childhood stories – he grew up with three brothers too. Whenever I referenced specific childhood stories of the Blackwell brothers, I checked with the other authors to make sure those stories fit with their characters. We did have a rather long and funny text chain running about what kinds of things the Blackwell brothers would’ve stashed in the loft of one of the old barns. The brothers converted the loft into a hide-out, game room and hang-out over the years. We had quite a few things on that text chain that never made it into my book.

ANGI: What’s special about Ethan Blackwell, the hero of your book?
CARI LYNN: I like Ethan because he’s complicated and complex. He’s everything a hero should be to me. He makes mistakes, takes responsibility (perhaps not as quickly as he should) and loves his family. He’s independent and strong-willed, yet loyal to those he loves. And he’s a veterinarian and there’s something special about a guy that cares for animals as much as people.

ANGI: What do you love about a rancher or a rancher’s life?
CARI LYNN: I love the people on a working ranch that devote their lives to the land and the animals. I’m in awe of all that they accomplish from sunrise until sunset, seven days a week. I think ranching life is more than a job, I think it’s a calling and passion for those that choose a rancher’s life. I also love horses – they’re one of my favorite animals.

ANGI: Would Ethan take Grace to a fancy restaurant or a picnic? 
CARI LYNN: Ethan would take Grace on a picnic. Aside from the lack of fancy restaurants in Falcon Creek, a picnic suits both Ethan and Grace’s personalities. Ethan would take her to a lake or a park, pick up her favorite take-out and then spend the day making her laugh. Grace’s mom is a very good cook so Ethan might also sweet talk her mom into making a picnic lunch for them to take along. (Ethan is the son Grace’s mom never had and he’d be sure to work at their supply store stocking shelves or taking care of their family pets in return for the picnic lunch.)

ANGI: Favorite TV rerun you watch every time you channel surf? 
CARI LYNN: My teenage daughter is hooked on Friends. Even though I’ve seen every episode, more than once, I will stop and watch whenever she puts on a Friends episode. I’ll also watch anything on the Food Network-that is my go-to channel. I love cooking shows.

ANGI: Worst thing about ranching (according to you or your hero)?
CARI LYNN: I’m not a morning person so I’d have to say getting up before the sun rises or even at sunrise to get started on the day. I’m a night owl and stay up late to write after the house is quiet and everyone is asleep. A rancher would have completed most of their work by the time my brain clicks in. 😉

ANGI: The most daring thing you’ve ever done… Care to share?
CARI LYNN: This one made me laugh (and my family too) as I’m not a dare devil at all. I’ll leave the bungee jumping, sky diving and zip lining to everyone else. I’m more than happy to be the one to record everyone else being a daredevil. But I will say that pursuing my dream of becoming a published author was a different kind of daring. Staying focused and persistent in the face of rejections and set-backs required an inner courage and strength that at times was hard to find. But thanks to the support from my writing crew and family, the journey has been more than worth it.

ANGI’s GOTTA ASK:  Where did you write THE RANCHER’S RESCUE?

CARI LYNN’S GOTTA ANSWER:  I wrote The Rancher’s Rescue in two places: my home office and my car. I spend a lot of time driving my daughters from school to swim practice and soccer practice. I carry my laptop or a clipboard with a pencil and paper everywhere I go. I’ll write in any parking lot while I wait for practice to be over. I also wrote during several travel swim meets up in the bleachers between my daughters’ events. (Side note – the minions serve a very important purpose. They hide my word count on the computer so I don’t panic about my lack of words for the day. And I love minions -they make me smile.)
   
UP NEXT for CARI LYNN:
AVA’S PRIZE
City by the Bay Stories (#3)


GET LOST WITH ALL THE BLACKWELL BROTHERS 
Coming next month… BEN
In November… TYLER
And in December… CHANCE
PURCHASE:   JON | ETHAN | BEN | TYLER | CHANCE
Melinda, Carol, Anna, Cari Lynn & Amy
CARI LYNN is giving away a $10 Amazon gift card and e-copy of her last release, The Doctor’s Recovery. Opened Internationally.



Ethan loved animals from the time he was a child and got to help his father with the calf and horse birthings on the ranch. For him, becoming a veterinarian was a natural thing.
Your host, Angi Morgan
Get Lost on Facebook   @GetLostInAStory  #GetLostStories
AND OUR NEW Facebook Group: The Readers’ Spot

Ethan loved animals from the time he was a child and got to help his father with the calf and horse birthings on the ranch. For him, becoming a veterinarian was a natural thing.When I was a kid, I wanted to be CEO of a Fortune 500 company or a doctor. My resume has neither of those titles but contains a series of different jobs. My favorite is being an author, even though I’d never considered it as a child. And now I get to write about doctors and CEOs so it’s the best of both worlds.

CARI LYNN WANTS TO KNOW: When you were a kid what did you want to be when you grew up?

6 comments:

  1. Some things are best kept secret.

    I had no idea of what I wanted to be. My sisters all did, but I kind of just fell into nursing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wanted to be married and have kids i grew up in an abusive foster home and there were terrible things well all i knew is that when i went to my grandmas they were happy and that was what i wanted out of the foster home and someone to love me after 48 yrs found my someone in another state ! From his ex-mother in law who was a friend and talked about this terrible son in law that canned and loved to cook . Well went to a wedding in Iowa and met him and it was love at first site that was 18 yrs ago so moved my items sold my house and left Calif near SF. Peggy Clayton ptclayton2@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first thing I recall wanting to be was a veterinarian until I saw live spaying at a fair... not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to grow up and have enought money to have a cook and maid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A spy, secret agent; a cross between James Bond and Miss Marple, lol!

    ReplyDelete