10/05/2018

First Friday w/the Crew: It's Autumn: Going into "Squirrel Mode!"


We’ve had our first taste of chilly weather here in the Heartland in the past couple of weeks and frankly, I’m ready for summer to be done. I know there are some of you who relish the high temps, the days on the beach, laying by an azure pool, watching that cabana boy serving up drinks. Kudos, to the sun-worshipers.

Me? I love looking out over a cornfield at the break of dawn, a heavy fog lays low shrouding the world in an ethereal mist. I love those brilliant sunny days with a snap in the air forcing the hoodie to be dug out of hibernation. Football Saturday tailgates. Talking an early morning walk. Breathing in the crisp clean air and seeing the sky turn a brilliant blue.

And never mind the sunsets, holy cow. Ribbons of purple, orange, yellow and pink settling on the horizon accentuating the silhouettes of trees that have shed their summer coats in favor of naked branches as they prepare for a long winters nap.

It’s the joy of sitting around a campfire or fire-pit with family and friends, wrapped in a sweatshirt or blanket. The joy of conversation as you gaze into a crackling flame.
Have I convinced you yet?

As this theme suggests, like the furry squirrel, I too, go into a mode of preparation-the summer clothes are packed away and the snuggly stuff brought to the surface. I start thinking about soups and stews, about freezing fresh corn off the cob, visiting those farmers markets, apple orchards and pumpkin farms. 

Example: Yesterday I woke before the sun and pulled out my “autumn” totes from storage. It will be my first fall in our new home. By eight a.m. when hubby stumbled out of bed, it looked like autumn had thrown up in the house! My heart is giddy when I look at a field of pumpkins. When I drive down a country road and the leaves swirl up around my car. Heaven.


~KINDNESS MATTERS~
Amanda
Maybe it’s too forward to think that you may exhibit “squirrel-mode” tendencies, (like me) but I’ve never been subtle in asking questions, so…


WHAT “SQUIRREL-LIKE” TENDENCIES START TO NUDGE YOU WITH THE ONSET OF THE FALL EQUINOX?

Fess up. When do the holiday decorations come out to play? 
Do you do it up big/scary at Halloween? 
Do you get bake-happy? (I’m pretty sure that’s a thing and oh, I’ll give you my address!) 
Would you dare to share any special stew or soups, casserole recipes you want to share?

One blog guest who leaves a comment and email addy will be chosen to receive a $25 gift card from Cracker Barrel!! (can be used in store or online.)


 NOW LETS SEE HOW OUR GLIAS CREW CELEBRATE AUTUMN'S ARRIVAL!



AVRIL TREMAYNE
The first spring flowers in the courtyard
of my inner city house
Oh dear!  As usual, I'm, bucking the trend as the resident Southern Hemisphere dweller - because here in Australia it's spring!

Believe me, I much prefer autumn, which is my favourite season of the year. Although I'd have to say, the past few autumns in Sydney have been more like an extension of summer. Right now, though, after a very mild winter (did not need to put on an overcoat even once!) I'm preparing for hay fever. All it takes is one breeze where I live for everyone to be coughing up a lung or two, because the streets are full of fluff from the plane trees, and that stuff gets right up your nose and down your throat.

Wisteria, Centennial Park, Sydney
Still, the sun is shining, the flowers are blooming, the sky is almost painfully blue - and I can tell you that Sydney will be doing what it usually does - dining al fresco. Just about every cafe and restaurant here offers seating outside, whether it's on the street or out the back in a courtyard, and every house has a barbecue ready to be put into action! 



E.E. BURKE

Fall has always been my favorite time of year. I get outside to take walks, go look at leaves, or just sit on the deck and write. Here's a picture of my little pumpkin (some years ago) with her best friend at the local "patch." She's 18 now and the other day said, "Let's go out to Red Barn Farm this year!" When fall strikes, we all revert to children.

That same child suffers from severe depression and her worst bouts are in the fall. What we've learned on this journey is that depression is often triggered by seasonal changes and even moving into a wonderful time of year can be traumatic. She's fought this awful illness throughout her teenage years, but as she moves into adulthood I see an amazing young person with courage and hope and an intense desire to make the world a better place.

We are walking into fall together, holding hands and anticipating that the best has yet come.



JACQUI NELSON
I grew up in the land (or at least one of the lands) of extreme snow – northern Alberta, Canada – so autumn was always more intense. More colorful leaves, bluer skies against that color, crisper air, frostier mornings, and sweeter scents of nature getting ready to hibernate. 

Now living on Canada's West Coast where winter is rain, I have to concentrate hard to see changes that don’t include a torrent of rain. But occasionally nature makes it easy as shown by these pictures I’ve taken during my 10 years living in Victoria, British Columbia. 




ANGI MORGAN
Well, Amanda and friends... Fall in North Central Texas lasts about 12 minutes around Thanksgiving. I actually rake leaves year-round because Live Oak trees that are in abundance here drop leaves as new leaves grow to replace them. As a result, I'm raking leaves year round.  So even though there's a breath of cooler air that wanders through Dallas before or after a storm, it's still fairly warm. One of the things I love about this time of year is another round of roses. Love that. 


As everyone knows, I take a lot of photographs. Some of our favorites are displayed on our walls. I normally change these out to fit the seasons. I also have welcome signs that fit all the national holidays for the front door. Seasonal flowers are almost always around. And I too, have a crate of fall decorations. Those will come down as soon as the new windows for the house are installed and the dust settles. 

The one holiday I don't hesitate about decorating is Christmas. It happens on or the day after Thanksgiving. Almost always. Right along with my little suburb.
Amazon | B&N | Google | iBooks | Kobo  | Walmart 




NANCY ROBARDS THOMPSON

Fall is my favorite season. I feel like I need to qualify that since I lived in Florida, where we didn’t get seasons, most of my life. There it was hot and less hot. We would call it a cold front if the temps dipped below seventy. Well, last December we traded in the beaches for the mountains and we moved to northeast Tennessee. We loved the snow and the gradual change to spring and then summer, but this will be our first fall. It’s only the first week of October, but every day, the Norwegian and I look out the window and assess the trees to see if they’re starting to change colors…not yet, but we’re sure it will happen any moment.

In the meantime, we’ve pulled out the fall decoration in an attempt to make the house more fall festive. I’ve been enjoying pumpkin everything – from coffee to bread and soup and candles. I can’t get enough of it. I’ve set out a few Halloween decorations, but they’re of the non-scary variety.


Here’s a peek out my office window, where, clearly there is no sign of fall. But I keep hoping. 

My current release is MADDIE FORTUNE'S PERFECT MAN.  It's a fun read for a cool night in front of the fire. 



your host is Amanda McIntyre
Get Lost on Facebook   @GetLostInAStory  #GetLostStories
AND OUR NEW Facebook Group: The Readers’ Spot

DON'T FORGET: One blog guest who leaves a comment and email addy will be chosen to receive a $25 gift card from Cracker Barrel!! (can be used in store or online.)


12 comments:

  1. I start to take down the summer decos Sept 1st as here in eastern Iowa it was so hot and I wanted summer to be over with. I have always loved fall since being back here in the midwest when I taught in Ca when it came to the seasons you never noticed the change but here wow the change is so evident I love it . The leaves,the apple orchards,all of the holiday items in the stores(boo),plus all of the canning that we are done with. I also look forward to the holiday books that authors write and this year we are going on vaca so very soon we just can't wait as I am packing several books that i can read while everyone is sleeping. ptclayton2@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apple orchards would be extra lovely in the autumn, Peggy! I need to do a mini trip out to the country. But first lots of writing to accomplish :)

      Delete
  2. Love Fall!!! Have already started baking a bit... probably will start decorating for Halloween next week... all set with the goodies to make up the Halloween bags for the kids... glad the weather is starting to cool off, was tired of those 100 degree days... greenshamrock atcox dotnet Happy Autumn! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you are well prepared for autumn, Colleen! The kids who receive your Halloween bags are very lucky.

      Delete
    2. Halloween is one of my fav holidays! Not the scary stuff, I'm more of a Charlie Brown gal. This will be my first Halloween in our new home and with our grandson! Fun! Fun!

      Delete
  3. I love fall! I live in the Florida so I always look forward to the cooler weather. I also love to start baking. Today I made apple cinnamon scones with a caramel glaze, raspberry white chocolate scones and brownies. I also have already started putting up fall decorations. I will put up Halloween ones closer to the day.

    cherierj(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your baking sounds delicious, Cherie!

      Delete
    2. I love it, Cherie! I never bake much all year until the weather turns chilly. Scones? Yum!!

      Delete
  4. Beef stew

    Bn100candg at Hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like potato soup and French bread. So good.

    Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete