10/03/2018

Meet Hero and Rancher Ben Blackwell

THE BLACKWELL BROTHERS ARE COMING HOME…
…whether they want to or not.

THE RANCHER’S REDEMPTION
His family committed a terrible wrong
Ben Blackwell wants to make it right

The last time Ben saw Rachel Thompson was when her best friend left him at the altar. Now Rachel’s suing the Blackwells over river water rights. Rachel’s a triple threat—rancher, fellow attorney and single mom—and Ben’s plan to win in court hits a snag when mutual attraction blooms. If he divulges a long-held secret, will his family forgive him? Will Rachel?



Prior to writing romance, Melinda was a junior manager for a Fortune 500 company, which meant when she flew on the private jet she was relegated to the jump seat—otherwise known as the potty. After grabbing her pen (and a parachute) she made the jump to full-time writer, focusing on sweet romance for Harlequin and indie-pubbed sweet romantic comedy. She recently came to grips with the fact that she’s an empty nester and a grandma, concepts easier to grasp than jet-setting on a potty. 


THE Q&A
ANGI:  Writing a continuity series takes a lot of work and cross-referencing with your co-authors. Is there any back story you needed for your characters that either didn’t make it into the book (no spoilers) or that you needed to brainstorm from a co-author?
MELINDA: Yes! It was my idea to have Ben jilted at the altar just after he graduated from law school because his grandfather had eloped with his bride. I wanted about 7 years to have passed (the 7 year itch, right?) but our editor wanted it to be five years. This impacted how many years Ben had been at a law firm in New York City (I had wanted him to be partner or junior partner, but that’s way too short at most firms).

ANGI: What’s special about Ben Blackwell, the hero of your book?
MELINDA: Ben left town and never looked back, because if he looked back, he felt a little guilty about what he’d left behind. His actions in court were influenced by his grandfather (before he got jilted) and essentially robbed the ranch next door of their water supply (but legally, in court).

ANGI: What do you love about a rancher or a rancher’s life?
MELINDA: I grew up on a sheep farm – which isn’t what Ben would consider a true ranch – but what I loved was the wide open spaces. When Mr. Curtis and I were shopping for a house the first time, I kept telling him the neighbors were too close. We ended up buying a house that backs up to undeveloped land.
ANGI: Would Ben take Rachel to a fancy restaurant or a picnic? 
MELINDA: Oh, Ben is a fancy restaurant dude. In fact, he laments the fact that he can’t get a good salad or quinoa bowl delivered to the ranch. Canned food? (shiver)

ANGI: Favorite TV rerun you watch every time you channel surf? 
MELINDA: I am not the rerun type of woman (that would be Anna Stewart). I watch it once and move along.

ANGI: Worst thing about ranching (according to you or your hero)?
MELINDA: Barbed wire. I can say from experience there is nothing scarier to me than trying to unloop barbed wire to put on a fence. I even mentioned it in the book.

ANGI: The most daring thing you’ve ever done… Care to share?
MELINDA: When I was in college, I dressed up as Carmen Miranda for Halloween – swimsuit top, flimsy flowery skirt, and a pile of fruit wrapped around my head. Guys were swiping my fruit and then the rest fell upon me. I don’t dress up for Halloween anymore.

ANGI’s GOTTA ASK:  Where did you write THE RANCHER’S REDEMPTION?
MELINDA’S GOTTA ANSWER:  I wrote this book mostly at my desk. Notice the two dogs. One is usually in my lap. The other at my feet trying to get me to play tug of war with a two foot headless gator (that used to squeak).
  
UP NEXT for MELINDA:
SANTA SCHOOL
Heartwarming Days of Christmas #12
Read a little, Buy the book

GET LOST WITH ALL 
THE BLACKWELL BROTHERS
JON | ETHAN | BEN
Coming next month… TYLER
And in December… CHANCE

PURCHASE:   JON | ETHAN | BEN | TYLER | CHANCE
Melinda, Carol, Anna, Cari Lynn & Amy
MELINDA is giving away Four commenters will each receive a copy of Marrying the Wedding Crasher (autographed in the U.S., digital for international), a Harlequin Heartwarming clean romance in Melinda’s Harmony Valley series.
Get Lost on Facebook   @GetLostInAStory  #GetLostStories
AND OUR NEW Facebook Group: The Readers’ Spot

MELINDA WANTS TO KNOW: I used to own a horse that was a bit spirited (understatement). One time, she tossed her head while we were riding through a neighbor’s vineyard, broke her chin strap (what makes a horse stop), realized she had literal free rein, and raced down the hill directly at a barbed wire fence (did you catch my confession earlier about hating barbed wire?). I bailed, she swerved, and we both lived to ride another day. So now for your questions. Have you ever ridden a horse? If so, have things ever gone south? 

4 comments:

  1. I was lucky... for 2 summers, the camp I went to had horseback riding as one of its activities... loved it... my fav horse was named Jackpot. The riding was done in a ring, so no bad things happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Colleen. There is nothing as grand and yet humbling like riding a horse!

      Delete
  2. I used to be a riding instructor. None of my students had accidents, I sure did. While teaching the horses verbal commands as well as physical ones was good most of the time, one time it backfired on me. Leading students on a ride, I asked if they were ready to trot. The horse heard the word and started to trot. Not expecting that, I was thrown off. I had a fractured skull and was in a coma for a couple of weeks - but I lived!

    ReplyDelete