12/13/2018

Jacqui Nelson’s North of the Border with guest Yvonne Rediger



Who's next on my North of the Border guest blog series? Today we have Yvonne Rediger, author of the VIC Shapeshifter series!

Where does Yvonne get her inspiration? How is Canada part of her inspiration? Read on and see...

~  * ~ 

I was born in southern Saskatchewan but moved with my family ‘North of the 56 Parallel’ to a mining community called Lynn Lake, when I was seven. For the next twenty years the town at the end of the 391 highway in Manitoba was my home. Even now, decades after I moved away, things pop into my head about time my family lived there and influence my storytelling.



Sure, we had tons of snow in winter and the temperature could drop to -40 for Halloween, but we went out trick or treating anyway. We did stuff. I learned to curl, cross-country ski, snowshoe, and everyone learned to drive a snow machine before learning to drive a car. We had short days in winter, but it allowed us to watch the pink, green, and white Aurora Borealis dance across the black, star-studded sky. These are the things most people think of about the north, winter. I found out later that in the south, you only see white Northern Lights.


Summers were amazing too, though. As soon as the ice was gone from Lion’s Beach, or mostly, we’d be in the water swimming. Surrounded by lakes, we canoed, kayaked, camped, and fished. Yep, tons of mosquitoes and black flies in the spring, but by July 1st, Canada Day, their numbers reduced with the heat of 30C or 85F days. It never gets full dark in summer, and we packed a lot in with the long hot days.


Spring and fall were brief and cherished. Gardens were limited to fast growing vegetables and all decks were screened in.

Then, when I was eleven, Farley Mowat visited our school. He was captivation. I’d read several of his books, Owls in the Family, about Wol and Weeps was my favourite. Mr. Mowat did his wolf howl and I was fortunate to speak to him face-to-face. That’s when I knew for sure I wanted to be a writer too.

I was lucky to meet the love of my life in the small town. He too is a fan of Mr. Mowat and The Boat Who Wouldn’t Float. He’s also my best research sounding board and supporter, and the reason we now live on Vancouver Island. Yep, it’s about boats, scuba diving, and hiking for us.

Hell Cat by Yvonne Rediger
I’ve used different parts of Canada as the backdrop for most of my novels. Specifically, in the VIC Shapeshifter series, I used Vancouver Island in The Shape of Us, and then added Edmonton, Alberta in the next book Hell Cat, where we lived briefly (December 22, 2018 release). I talk about northern Manitoba in the forthcoming Trusting the Wolf (Spring 2019 release). The different location in each novel underpins the diversity in the story’s main characters and, I hope, compliments them too.

Having lived or visited much of Canada, the Maritimes, the Prairies, Quebec, Ontario, and Nunavut, I plan to write a story about each area at some point. I hope my readers enjoy the journey.

Thank you, Jacqui Nelson, for allowing me to be on your blog today.

~ * ~ 

Yvonne Rediger was born in Saskatchewan, lived and worked in northern Manitoba, Edmonton Alberta, southern New Brunswick, and now resides on Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

Rediger has been writing since she was in her teens. Her favorite genres are Paranormal, Science Fiction, Mysteries, each with a bit of humor and, of course, romance.

She is married to her scuba-diving buddy who is also her sailboat captain. She has two children and is owned by one Siamese cat.

Facebook Author page: www.facebook.com/vicshapeshifters
Black Opal Author Page: blackopalbooks.com/yvonne-rediger

~  All pictures (except for the 1st) are supplied by today’s guest with their assurance of usage rights

16 comments:

  1. Hi Yvonne, It was nice to read all about you. Although I've traveled in Canada a lot, I've never been to Saskatchewan. I looks and sounds adventurous. I live just south of the border from you in the small town of Anacortes, WA. We often visit Vancouver, perhaps we'll run into each other one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Canada. I lived in AK three years and drove through the center of Canada on my way back to the states. I’ve attended the Opera in Calgary and Winter Carnival in Quebec:) Beautiful country and the nicest people. I love your cover for Hell Cat . The premise of the story is intriguing and will add it to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, its a painting by my daughter-in-law. She is very talented.

      Delete
  3. Hi Yvonne wonderful to read all the adventures and thank you for coming and introducing yourself at GLIAS! Peggy Clayton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to GLIAS, Yvonne. Lovely pictures !

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The Boat that Wouldn't Float," what a memory that brings back. We were on a car trip in the days before care radios and Mom read that book aloud to keep us entertained on the long miles. Thanks for the memories, Yvonne. Good luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed finding out how Canada influences your writing. It's such a diverse country and one that I've not gotten to explore as much as I wish. (No more dog sledding, though. Cracked ribs = no fun.) I'm a big fan of fantasy too. I'll have to check out your series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe. Dog sleding...sounds like an interesting story right there!

      Delete
  7. Hi Yvonne,

    It's nice to meet you! I'm from NJ, but we have traveled in Canada and loved your country. Best wishes for the success of your novel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Jacqueline, I've enjoyed visiting your country too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the best parts of our country is the diverse and beautiful landscapes, coast to coast to coast and everywhere in between. What a backdrop for your adventures. Your stories and descriptions make me want to travel more. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely post, Yvonne. Very interesting and the more we read from our Canadian authors, the more we learn!

    ReplyDelete