12/11/2018

Writing at Christmastime


What a difference a year makes!
Last year I was an author in crisis--on a huge deadline right at Christmas (book due December 26th) with no time to sit back and enjoy my favorite time of year.

I've always loved decorating my house. The holidays are a totally fun excuse for pulling out all my kitschy Santa, ornament, and ribbon stuff and blinging out the house in red and green. It's also, for hubby, a reason to make every room smell like cinnamon with a spicy red candle!

But last year I had no time for blinging out anything except the end of my book, and believe me that didn't feel much like bling. It was more like the
seventh circle of heck--it was a torture making me act a whole lot more like Ebenezer Scrooge than the forgiving Bob Cratchit. I wrote every free minute, I shopped the week before Christmas and bit my nails hoping things would arrive on time. I tossed up a few decorations that week, too, so it would look a tiny bit festive when my family arrived on Christmas morning. I gave myself Christmas Day off but then went back to work the next morning and was actually a day late turning in my manuscript.

Can I just say--Christmas was no fun last year.

So what did I do about it? I planned slightly better and gave myself all of this December off! I am so excited to find the fun in Christmas again. My house is decorated, my shopping is not done but is certainly well underway compared to last year. I've actually watched the Hallmark movie as they've come out. I've smiled and literally voiced the phrase "God bless us every one." (Okay, that's Tiny Tim Cratchit not Bob, but you get the idea.)

A writer's life is not always glamor and worldbuilding. The job of writing is like every job in the world--sometimes it's wonderful; sometimes you want to tell your boss (even if it's you) to shove it. I'm hoping that you will take a lesson from me and, whatever you have going on in your life, take time to enjoy the holidays. Whether you celebrate big or small, are by yourself or have a huge family, don't let outside pressures rob you of time to pull out your kitsch and thank the Lord for this time of year. Whatever holiday you celebrate--celebrate with joy!

And read a wonderful book! Your favorite authors have worked hard to bring it to you. But not at Christmas!! Here are some of the holiday decorations I got up this year. Remember as you view them--it's been two years (more in some cases) since they saw the light!







Happy Holidays, GLIAS friends. Tell me all about your favorite, relaxing holiday traditions.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you were able to relax and deco your house like you want to. This year I am not decorating much I have such pain and swelling with my RSD that I just can't get in the spirit so I understand I feel like such a bad person my husband did decorate a tree right out where i can see it when i am sitting reading etc in the living room in memeory of the lives that were lost to senseless acts and that was so sweet of him it is red white and blue. He has been working so much but late one night he did that and it made me cry he has a really big heart and i was so happy that he did it . So glad that this year you are celebrating the holidays the way you like to also. Peggy Clayton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello I'm so happy sharing this, I still can’t thank you enough powerful Priest Elijah, My husband left for a younger lady because i was unable to give birth due to PCOS,I was so devastated i was lonely i cried a lot i even tried taking my life, Then my friend told me about this great man Priest Elijah who helped her made her marriage perfect, I also went online and did more research about him i was not too sure but i decided to give him a try he told me not to worry everything was going to be alright, He told me all i needed to pay which was a convenient fee and i did and he did his work and sent me video proof and told me to wait 24hrs that he will be back, The next morning to my greatest surprise it was Shawn my husband on his knees begging I'm so happy, It didn’t stop there, I'm proud to say that I'm 3 weeks pregnant thank you so much Priest Elijah I'm forever grateful contact him

      Email: universalspellhelp@gmail.com or

      universalspellhelp@yahoo.com

      WhatsApp him +2347054380994

      Website: https://universalspellhelp.wixsite.com/priestelijah

      Delete