1/24/2019

Jacqui Nelson’s North of the Border with guest CJ Hunt


Who's next on my North of the Border guest blog series? Today we have CJ Hunt, author of The MacAllisters of Rivers End series!

Where does CJ get her inspiration? How is Canada part of her inspiration? Read on and see...

~  * ~

I’m so excited to be sharing Rivers End—and a little slice of Canada—with all of you! I’ve been writing romance stories since I was fifteen years old, and since I grew up in a small town on Vancouver Island just off the west coast of British Columbia, in Canada (and hey, we tend to write what we know!) I created my own version of my hometown as the place my stories could take place in and called it Rivers End. This had the dual purpose of letting me spend part of my time in a small Canadian town while my body is actually living in the big city :) Plus, then none of the folks in my hometown could claim I was actually writing about them!


I knew I wanted a smaller town where people would know each other, be invested in each other’s lives, and that had a great variety of physical locations that were picturesque and gave me lots of options for backdrops. I grew up in Qualicum Beach which is a small town on Vancouver Island that has two rivers (although the town in real life isn’t between them like Rivers End is!), is right on the beach, and is less than an hour away from multiple ski mountains. It snows just often enough that people still get excited when it does, but the weather is mostly pretty mild all winter—usually hovering above 0 degrees (that’s centigrade, for you south of the border folks…) so you can still be out and about all winter. Unless you head up into the mountains, of course. Then there’s plenty of snow! Summers are warm but not usually too hot. In short – it’s an ideal place to live, with only normal size mosquitos. Trust me, if you’ve lived in other locations in Canada, this is a selling feature worth mentioning!

There are several families that have been in the area for generations including the MacAllisters, the Martinez family, the Tremayne’s and we get to know their stories – and others - as we get to know the town. The MacAllisters are the family I’ve written about the most (so far) and you can grab SILVER BELLS (The MacAllisters of Rivers End #1) for free on any eBook retailer you like and get to know Jenna, Sara and Isaac.

It’s a pretty big cast of characters (a whole town!!), which is why I’ve set up a section on my website where you can meet the residents of Rivers End. With each new story that comes out, I add more of the characters to it. It’s a fun opportunity to see what I think people look like, but WARNING: If you want to stay with just the picture you get in your own mind then you might want to stay away from this page!

Building Rivers End

While I didn’t use an actual town map of Qualicum as my inspiration, I definitely borrowed the spirit of the place, the idea of it, and details here and there to help bring my own small town to life. My parents even owned a campground/hotel called Riverside Resort when I was a kid, which was the inspiration for Big River Lodge. I loved growing up right on the edge of the river and within bike riding distance of the beach!

I sketched out a map on a piece of graph paper, and then once I had everything where I wanted it, I actually worked with an artist to bring the place to life. I wanted it to have a clear downtown core, as well as some residential areas with school and community centre and churches and retirement homes… well – you get the idea. Everything!


So I watched youtube videos on town planning, sketched up how I wanted everything to look, and then I planned out a TON of stories to make sure my town had everything it would need to support those stories. Fun fact: I have over 100 stories outlined that all are interconnected and take place in Rivers End or are connected in some way. Not so fun fact: I can only write so fast! It’s going to take me years and years to tell all the stories I want to tell. Although since I love writing, and I figure I’ve probably got a good 30-40 years of storytelling time left in me I don’t see that as a problem!

Spirit Lake 


If you read REINDEER GAMES (The MacAllisters of Rivers End #3) you’ll get introduced to another location where plenty of stories take place. Spirit Lake is a little ways up into the mountains west of Rivers End, and is actually inspired by another real place—Golden Ears Provincial Park which is where we go camping when we need to get out of the city for a bit. It’s less than an hour from where we live and I’ve done a great deal of writing when we’re camping as I find being up in the mountains near lakes and surrounded by trees to be really inspiring!

Alouette Lake is the real lake in Golden Ears Park and it’s cold and clear, and perfect for swimming in. You can check out some pictures here. It’ll cool you down on a hot day and the shoreline is often full of people enjoying the beach and the water. It was definitely the inspiration for Spirit Lake. And a cold dip on a warm day is part of summer in this part of the country. One of the coolest things about Canada is its size and diversity of natural landscape. So while this particular type of experience is typical in this little corner of the country, keep in mind that it’s just this little section of the country where that is true!

What about the Magic? 


Oh yes… there’s something very special about Rivers End, beyond just the cool people who live there and the great natural surroundings. Some women are born with a little something…extra. So some stories feature a touch of magic. You’ll notice those books look a little different – bolder, brighter… I wanted to make sure you could tell at a glance which kind of book you are getting. If you like a little dose of magic in your stories then you’ll likely enjoy these. And these ones do also tend towards the steamy side (or at least steamier than the regular Rivers End romances!) so be prepared for that :)

If you want to try out one of those, then you can get your hands on MERRY (The Witches of Rivers End #1) on any eBook platform for FREE.


If you want to try one with a touch of magic that’s short and sweet (no steamy stuff) then you can sign up for my newsletter and get access to TRICK OR TREAT which is ONLY available for folks who are part of my Rivers End Bookclub. Is the house on Witch Hill really haunted? You’ll have to come see for yourself.



HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO WIN A BOXED SET OF 4 RIVERS END eBOOKS?

Sunday morning (9am pacific time, on January 26, 2019 to be precise) I’ll randomly draw a name of one person who has commented on this post, telling me about their favourite place to escape to. Could be a town, a specific building (The arcade? The barn? The library?) or a place you read about in a book that you can only visit in your mind… 

Where is your happiest place? 

~  * ~

If you want to connect you can follow me on Amazon or BookBub for New Release announcements, sign up for my newsletter/bookclub for the inside scoop on all things Rivers End + romance, or explore Rivers End on the website!

I’ll be hanging out here over the weekend answering questions, so feel free to ask me anything in the comments :)

Xo CJ Hunt


~  All pictures (except for the 1st) are supplied by today’s guest with their assurance of usage rights

51 comments:

  1. I enjoyed todays blog but can't enter the contest as they are ebooks and i can only do print but like i said you Jacqui always have an interesting guest I like the author that you introduce us to as I read 1 new author a month if not more and have found some good ones! My happiest place is going to my sons in Ca where I used to live and see my granddaughter and family! Peggy Clayton ptclayton2@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome to hear you continue to enjoy my guest, Peggy! Love CJ's question about happy places and hearing about yours ❤️

      Delete
    2. Peggy, if you win it's set up so you can gift the books to a friend who does read eBooks :) We'll keep you in the running just in case! Then you can share the love.

      Delete
  2. When I was younger, my happy place was my grandparents' home.... since they have been gone... my new happy place is curled up in my comfy spot with my cat and reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your happy places, Colleen. My grandmother's farmhouse is one of my happy memory locations.

      Delete
  3. My happy place when I was growing up at on my grandparents farm in Ontario. Also visiting my maternal grandparents in Mahome Bay, NS. Both special places in my heart.
    I enjoyed your blog about character and town building - it's amazing what we can do with our imaginations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beach
    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sounds at the beach - the waves, the breeze, the birds. So peaceful...unless the beach is crowded. Then the conversation overheard can provide entertainment :)

      Delete
  5. Welcome to Get Lost in a Story, CJ !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Angi! Excited to be here :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. River's End is the place I want to move when I grow up! I love that CJ has hundreds of stories left to tell! Whoo hoo! That makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. would love to read it I love Christmes stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite place is getting lost in a love story. Whether I'm watching it or reading. Reading is always better because I can picture it my way. That's my favorite place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!?? I've had my nose in a book for the last 35ish years. It's such a great place to escape to :D

      Delete
  10. I love reading a great love story with my dog laying on my feet. When I get into a love story and its a page turner I cant put it down until I read the last page. I guess you could say I zone out when reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have put my name on mine and its Chris Linhart sorry that I left it out.

      Delete
    2. That'll make it easier to track you down if you're the winner on Sunday :D

      Delete
  11. My happy place is our little loveseat, curled up with a pillow and blanket. That being said, we need new furniture since ours is over 20 years old and the stuffing is flat in places, but neither my husband and I want to part with our favorite sitting/napping spots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read a couple of Jacqui's books and enjoyed them enough to sign up for her newsletter. My happy place is wherever my books are. I love being in my library and just being cozy surrounded by the written word!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My happy place is wherever my Cajun hubby and our three rescued furbabies are at the moment. (Usually the furbabies are on my lap while I have a cup of tea on the side table and my Kindle Tablet in hand reading paranormal/regular cozy mysteries or clean romances!
    teddi1961(at)arcemont(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alice R - My favorite escape is sitting on the porch in a cabin in the woods overlooking a lake mirroring the stunning trees and mountains surrounding it with my e-book in hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My happy place is a small town in NH. We have visited there every summer and the lakes and mountains are beautiful. I love to read on a dock there and just relax and visit relatives.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where is your happiest place? Sitting by my pond, reading a book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoyed reading the blog. My favorite place is in the barn when it is raining. It is so peaceful and I especially like hearing the rain hit the tin roof.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I ADORE the sound of rain on the roof. Which is good since we get quite a lot of it here. Barn sounds nice and cozy... <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. My happy place is at Big Meadows. We take the mile hike with fishing pole in hand and go to my brother's favorite place to fish. Since he has passed on and was my best friend, this place is always a reminder of the great times that we had fishing this spot at the lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so lovely. It's particularly special when you've got somewhere with happy memories to go and "visit" someone <3

      Delete
  20. When I was younger my happy place was in the cradle of two giant oak trees that grew together at my grandparents. Now that I'm older and the trees have since come down I actually have 2 different happy places.

    When the weather is nice & I can sneak away I head to my favorite happy place. This might sound strange to some but it's really a great spot. It's the cemetery where my grandfather is buried. The grass is green and lush. There are tons of big, old trees. When it is sunny out the sun shine through those trees creating a Lacy pattern on the grass. I can spread out my blanket and lay there enjoying the peace & quiet. I normally take my Kindle with me and read. It is peaceful and makes me feel safe.

    My 3rd happy place is one I can only visit on special occasions. It's an Amish community that is s few hours away from my home. When I go I take the family and we stay at a B&B right in the middle of their "downtown". I love it because it's quiet and so calm. All the people are friendly and helpful. You can just breathe while you're there. Big, wide porchs and lots of fresh air!

    So, yeah, those are my happy places! My name is Erica. I already get CJ's newsletter (it's why I'm here) and stalk her on all social media. I love River's End and can't get enough! I haven't read all the books out - yet - but they are on my TBR list!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds amazing Erica! So glad you're enjoying the books. And am envious of your Amish community :) That does sound wonderful.

      Delete
  21. I'm from upstate NY, currently retired in FL. When I get homesick I remember wonderful vacations in Niagara Falls. The Canadian side is just beautiful. The energy of the falls from up top and on the Maid of the Mist is amazing. There is Niagara on the Lake, the Shakespearean festival, Marineland and an historic chapel.Good memories and a great gift from Mother Nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess what, CHRISTA... CONGRATULATIONS! We pulled a random number and it matched your comment number! You're the winner of the MacAllisters of Rivers End Boxed Set Draw :) To claim your prize just send me an email crystal @ cjhuntromance.com (just remove the spaces) and I'll get you the info on how to claim your eBooks!

      Delete
  22. The library always!
    My dream vacation is being stranded in a library with a bed and a kettle {for coffee} and I only need to leave when I am done with the books.
    Libraries are my HAPPY places

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen the Neverending Story? If not, you might like it :)

      Delete
  23. My happy place is the waterfront during a storm

    ReplyDelete
  24. All these comments remind me of the many happy places I have (give me a cup of Irish Breakfast tea and almost anywhere becomes a happy place!). Ditto for putting me where I can see the ocean. But that really special location for me is Breitenbush Hot Springs. An abosulte must if you visit Oregon (and don't mind bathing suit optional hot springs).

    ReplyDelete
  25. I spent a week in Victoria B.C. at a bed and breakfast run by my aunt. I did as little as possible, and devoured as many books as I could!
    It was a wonderful vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So far I have read almost all your books.
    I love the beach, just listenng to the waves and watchng them.
    My vacation would have to include reading books.

    ReplyDelete
  27. THE WINNER HAS BEEN DRAWN!
    As promised we drew a random number and matched it up to the comment numbers... and CHRISTA DAVID has won the MacAllisters of Rivers End boxed set. WOOT!

    I'm still very curious about all of your favourite places though - so please keep sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations Christa on winning CJ's boxed set!

      Delete
  28. Thank you all for visiting (and commenting on) CJ's North of the Border guest blog with me and "Get Lost in Story"! Loved hearing about your fav places. Like CJ, I hope you'll keep sharing more favorites with us ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  29. Interesting blog on world-building, C J. Your townsite art reminds me of my worldbuilding in a Val Cameron satanic cult thriller I wrote. I couldnt use a real town for obvious reasons - duh! Satanic cult on Main Street! So i bought a map of a small town we visited and changed the names of all the streets. Made it much easier to find my way around town.

    Great blog!

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for sharing such valuable and helpful information and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are providing wonderful information, it is very useful to us.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Keep posting like this informative articles.

    ReplyDelete

  33. Some genuinely nice and utilitarian info on this internet site, also I believe the style has great features.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Well I truly enjoyed reading it. This subject offered by you is very helpful and accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What an interesting article! I'm glad i finally found what i was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This blog is what im exactly looking for. Great! and Thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete