3/19/2019

E.E. Burke's Best of the West: Becky Lower's Cotillion Ball Series


Blinded By Grace (Cotillion Ball Series)

In 1858 New York City, Halwyn Fitzpatrick thinks he's off the hook for attendance at the annual Cotillion Ball. He has no sister to shepherd down the grand staircase this year and no real desire to go through the rituals of courtship and betrothal himself. Besides, he'll know the right girl when he sees her, especially now that he has new spectacles. But his mother has other plans for him. At twenty-seven years of age, her son is in dire need of a wife.

Grace Wagner needs a husband by July in order to inherit the trust her father has left for her. Her stepfather, though, has plans for the money that don't include Grace, and the last thing he wants is for her to find a husband before she turns twenty-one, thereby fulfilling the terms of the trust. 

She's been in love with Halwyn since she was thirteen, but he hasn't noticed her at any of the balls they've been at over the years. With the aid of his new glasses, he spies Grace from across the room and they share a dance. Grace decides to present him with a business proposition that will satisfy them both. But can a clueless knight in shining armor and a desperate damsel in distress find a way to turn this marriage of convenience into something more?

Excerpt:

Amazon best-selling author Becky Lower has traveled the United States in search of great settings for her novels. She loves to write about two people finding each other and falling in love amid the backdrop of a great setting, be it in America on a covered wagon headed west or in Regency England. Her Cotillion Ball Series features the nine children from an upscale New York family prior to and during the Civil War. Her first Regency, A Regency Yuletide, received the Crowned Heart and has been nominated for the prestigious RONE award from InD’Tale Magazine. A regular contributor to USA Today’s Happy Ever After section, her books have been featured in the column on ten separate occasions.

Facebook–http://facebook.com/becky.lower
Twitter–http://twitter.com/BeckyLower1
BookBub– https://www.bookbub.com/authors/becky-lower
Becky’s blog: http://beckylowerauthor.blogspot.com
Review Becky’s books on Goodreads–http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6159227.Becky_Lower


What’s the first book you remember reading?  

I read everything I could get my hands on from an early age, but the first ones I can remember were the Laura Ingalls Wilder books and the Trixie Belden series. I guess that’s why I’ve written a series myself. My Cotillion Ball series is set in America in the years leading up to and into the Civil War, so I tip my hat to Ms. Wilder.

If you could interview one person (and it doesn’t have to be a writer) who would it be?

I’ve been fascinated by Jedediah Smith for years now. In fact, I credit him for starting me on my writing journey. I saw a program about his fascinating life and I was so disappointed with the way his life ended. I wanted to write a new ending to his life. I’ve written the story about five different ways now, but it’s still under the bed.

If you were given a chance to travel to the past where would you go and specifically why?

I’d love to have attended a Rocky Mountain Rendevous in 1825 or so. Maybe I could have met Jed Smith there.

What is your favorite tradition from your childhood that you would love to pass on or did pass on to your children?

We didn’t have a lot of money when I was growing up, and I come from a large family, so food was always scarce. Except at Thanksgiving. That was the one day when I could have seconds. And thirds, if I wanted. So now, as an adult, whenever two or more of my siblings get together, we celebrate with a full-blown Thanksgiving dinner, regardless of what the calendar says. This year, we had three generations together to celebrate the holiday early. And we passed on the tradition that the date on the calendar doesn’t matter. It’s the people you choose to celebrate with.

Tea or Coffee? And how do you take it?

Coffee, please, with a dollop of cream. I’ve never been able to drink it black.

What will always make you smile, even on a bad day?

I moved to North Carolina last year and there’s one road that I try to take whenever I have to go to town. It’s a tree tunnel, with towering pine trees on either side of the road, so close to the road you can almost touch them from your car. Whenever I take it, regardless of how my day’s going, it makes me smile.

Becky is graciously offering two copies of her Cotillion Ball books Blinding by Grace and The Duplicitous Debutante. To enter the drawing, leave a comment and your email so we can contact you.

If you could go back in time and meet someone, who would it be and what would ask them?



13 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, EE, for inviting me to the blog this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would want to meet Mary Patten, learn about her family, Listen to her sing, know how she handled little girls on the trip to Corn Island with George Roger's Clark. I would love to hear her dreams for a new town called Louisville, KY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with Mary Patten, but she sounds most interesting. Now that you've piqued my curiosity, I'm going to have to look her up.

      Delete
  3. Becky, I love your Cotillion Ball series. I am not sure I can write a series, though YOU have inspired me to try! I've been working on my idea ever since I started reading your Cotillion Ball books! A series has always been daunting to me because I feared I couldn't keep up the excitement with the same characters, but after reading your books, I had a fantastic idea and now I'm inspired to work on it!

    I'm not sure who I would meet and talk to. There are so many choices. Now I have to give it some thought, but honestly--historically I would probably want to sit down with Abraham Lincoln.

    Great interview--I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl. I love writing a series with interconnecting characters as much as I enjoy reading them. I was inspired by Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series. So, If I've inspired you, I'm happy.

      Delete
  4. I would of loved to meet Rosa Parks as she is one I would of told "You Go Girl" she was so strong and after she sat down on that seat her life changed and i would of loved to ask her what about her got her to be so strong and who taught her to be that way? There are so many books that i have read and this author that was featured today I have not come across her books so I am glad that she did this for us and I have her name down so I can get a print book and review on a few sites. Peggy Clayton ptclayton2@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peggy. Great choice with Rosa Parks! We owe a lot to the women who took risks.

      Delete
  5. Can you guess who I'd invite to dinner? Yes, Sam Clemens aka Mark Twain. I'd love to transport myself back in time and show up at his cool Connecticut home when he lived there with his wife Livi and his three adorable daughters. Those were his happiest years.

    Thank you for sharing your wonderful storytelling with us. I have so enjoyed reading this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Twain is someone I'd like to have spent an evening with, too. Great idea.

      Delete
  6. Washington being president
    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to have talked to him, too. Great choice~

      Delete
  7. Oh, what a hard choice. There are so many great people in our history. I’m thinking Sacagawea but I’d have a hundred questions to pepper her with.

    ReplyDelete