5/27/2019

Amanda hosts #storiesoftheheart-Remembering with Love

REMEMBERING WITH LOVE

Today is traditionally set aside to remember the fallen--those who have served our country , some giving the ultimate sacrifice and to all who have served we offer our sincere and humble thanks. Once again we are reminded that freedom is not free, it comes with a price. And to all the families of those serving in our military, our thanks for your sacrifice.

As I thought about this day, it occurred to me that in keeping in line with #Stories of the Heart, that there might be others, too, who have made an indelible mark on our lives. Here then are a few of the responses--





E.E.Burke


The Stars and Stripes at the funeral service for Roy Stites, who served during the Korean War.








Price Cemetery, near the southwestern border of Missouri, where ancestors of Roy and Della Stites are buried. Earliest graves date back to the original pioneers in 1821.








Amanda McIntyre
One of the kindest, most influential people in my life was my Grandmother Glenna Stone  Always wearing a smile. her hand outstretched to help wherever she could, she taught me the meaning of faith tested by fire, forgiveness, seeing the glass half full and living life to the fullest. There was always a sense of "welcome" in her home, a joy when her family was gathered together, abundant laughter that could bring us to tears. A strong, gifted, albeit, quiet woman, her character and integrity has long been the foundation of my own family. When I look down at my aging hands now, I see hers in the making. ;)





I'd never had a dog before our Black Lab, Norman. Gone now just under three years, his chalk portrait sits in our living room, a reminder of the twelve + years of devotion and love he brought to our family. The kindest eyes and a gentle heart, he left a mark on us forever. We miss you, buddy.


Jacqui Nelson 

When I think about Memorial Day, I think about the importance of respect. 
One of my first teachers was the first dog I remember as a child. He taught me about respecting boundaries and understanding consequences because he was different. His name was Flash. He was a Blue Heeler (a cross between a Border Collie and a Dingo). He had wild blood. 

Boundary: don’t go near him when he’s eating or you’ll probably get bit. I took that seriously and never got bit. Well…never if you don’t count (which I didn’t) him nipping at your heels and hands. Being a herding dog was also in his blood. Consequence: if you run, you’re going to get nipped. 

For a four-year-old, these were important lessons because Flash got bigger (and stronger) a lot faster than I did. But that never mattered because he’d learned to respect me as much as I respected him. 

Beverly Gordon 
My gram and my momma Gram on my dad's side taught me to love unconditionally and that nothing in this world that is ever worth having is ever easy to get or keep and I can do anything and be anyone as long as kindness and understanding are apart of it. She embraced my weirdness which made me ok to embrace it too. And my momma that woman who sometimes frustrates me to no end loves so completely that sometimes it makes my heart hurt she is the strongest person I know has been there threw it all. the death of my niece, sister, dad and brother ina span of 2years things that would have emotionally gutted most people ( probably did her too but that's how strong she is. She didn't let it show) her unshakable faith and compassion has really been awe-inspiring

Jackie Riley

 I have so many family members that are presently in the military and many that are veterans. My son served 10 years in the Marine Corp and 6 in the Army. My granddaughter is presently in the Army.

Linda Broday




Mom was born in 1917 and lived a very humble life, making do with whatever she had, which was never very much. I've never seen a more gracious, thankful, loving mother. She was from pioneer stock and when trouble came, she stood and met it head on. She gave my brother and sisters our legacy. Jan K Sikes Jean Helmer Irene Smith Weaver Ruth Weaver-Sims











Angi Morgan
Each Memorial Day I remember all my loved ones who served our country and have passed on. Last week in New Orleans, Tim and I visited the National WWII Museum. It reminded me of the importance of EVERYONE who served--b

oth on the front lines and behind the lines. Without those who invented and built the boats, planes and supplied the other vital needs, WWII might have been much different.


My grandmother--Mommie--was a genuine Rosie Riveter. She lost count of the number of nose-cones she riveted into place. I genuinely miss seeing her sweet smile, hearing her play Boogie Woogie on her piano or the stories about her life. She was the person who taught me to love romance by approving the Harlequin novels I read. She was simply...amazing.






















My grandfather--Poppie--served in WWI as a telegraph wire stringer. I have his Purple Heart. He was a very handsome man. He never talked much, but loved wood working. He built rocking chairs, couches and tables for our Barbie Dolls. I still have a couple I didn't wear out from use. I'm two in the picture of him holding me. I might not seem happy...but that's because my mom was at the hospital bringing home my sister.

WHO ARE YOU REMEMBERING TODAY?

2 comments:

  1. We are remembering a friend of my husbands who was just so nice and welcoming when I first moved to Iowa from Ca. I heard his motorcycle and we were eating dinner and he walks in and said so this is the beauty that you have been talking about. I chocked on my dinner and laughed. He was a family man and just a wonderful welcoming guy. He would take his shirt off for you and be shirtless if you were cold. He was used to living on a dime and spread it to others. I was so upset i sent my husband and luckily his daughter was there as I didn't know he was worse than I and I felt bad as that day I was thinking how much I would miss him not remembering how many years he and hubby had been friends and served in the guard together. peggy clayton ptclayton2@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your memory with us, Peggy. People like your husband's friend (and yours too) are treasures on earth and gifts from heaven ❤️

      Delete