10/31/2019

Practical Magic, Hocus Pocus and other such things!

It's that time of year! All Hallows Eve! A time of magic and wonder and delightful things that go bump in the night!

Today we're celebrating our favorite Halloween movies!! And we'll have some treats to hand out when you come knockin' on the door!!! So lets get started!!!





AMANDA
I grew up reading Monster and Creepy magazines (my dad was a rep for a Publishers Distributing out of New York) and my "first" scary movie I ever watched was Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte. (A couple of years ago I actually visited the Louisiana mansion used in the filming and our tour guide sat down at the piano and belted out the theme song! Made the hairs on my arms stand on end!!)

Hocus Pocus, Charlie Brown, are on my Halloween watch lists and even Rocky Horror Picture Show (when I can find it) but the one I love best brings out the romantic in me and that that's PRACTICAL MAGIC!









I can't decide if its the little seaside location, that gorgeous house, or the eccentric aunts played by Stockard Channing and Dianne Wiest. "We have chocolate cake for breakfast here."--Perhaps its the hope of finding true love, overcoming evil, the power of family and friends that I find
appealing--not to mention the soundtrack!! Whatever the many reasons, I love that its a story where second chances are possible and love finds a way!



JACQUI
I love animated movies, romance adventures, and bride stories too ðŸ™‚

So it might be no surprise that for me (a writer who once worked as on an animator) one of my favorite Halloween-themed movies is Tim Burton's Corpse Bride.

The moviemakers sum up the story with two lines: Victor Van Dort (voiced by Johnny Depp) and Victoria Everglot (Emily Watson) are preparing for their arranged marriage, which will simultaneously raise the social class of Victor's parents and restore the wealth of Victoria's penniless family. But when the shy groom practices his wedding vows in a forest AND inadvertently in the presence of a deceased young woman (Helena Bonham Carter), she rises from the grave assuming he has married her.

The Corpse Bride (having lived and died and lost the most) has some of the best lines like the one below...


Another one of my favorite animated Halloween movies is Nick Park's Wallace & Gromit: the Curse of the Were-Rabbit. Love its tag-line "Something wicked this way hops"!

C.H.
We’ve been blessed with two beautiful grandsons, Jack age 8 and Hank age 5. Their favorite Halloween movie is Tim Burton’s: The Nightmare Before Christmas (also a fave of their mom and uncles). When I was the same age as Jack, It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown debuted on TV (back in the dark ages—before cable TV when there were only 7 channels...wait did I just say that out loud?!? LOL)


Amanda and I share the same favorite—Practical Magic! Love, love the aunts: Aunt Frances and Aunt Jet. Favorite quote from Aunt Frances: “My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage!” So much to love in this movie, especially when Sally hears the blender and wakes up Gillian and they dance down the stairs for midnight margaritas! 
Favorite quote from Sally: “There are some things I know for certain: always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can.”

And did you read the good news that HBO is planning a prequel focusing on the aunts? Check out this article on The Mary Sue  Color me happy 😉 You can read more here on Nerdist.

REGAN
I love Halloween, the spooky fun and ghosts and magic in the air. (Although I'm not a fan of thre horror side of the equation and you can keep your mean spiders to yourself. ðŸ˜‰) Hocus Pocus is a Halloween classic for a reason and an annual tradition at our house. The Sanderson sisters are hysterical and I'm always game for a fun adventure.  Practical Magic is an October tradition too. My daughter and I make time for this whenever possible and it's truly one of my favorite movies of all time - no matter the season. 
"I dream of a love that even time will lie down and be still for." — Sally
That quote is like the best chocolate for the romantic in me. As an only child, I've always treasured the sister bond between Sally and Gillian, along with the lovely reassurance that there's 'a little witch in all of us'. (And it's always Midnight Margarita time somewhere!)

**EDITORIAL INSERT: CLEARLY WE NEED TO HAVE MIDNIGHT
MARGARITAS IN THIS GROUP!**

LIZBETH

I am the crew wimp! I absolutely love Halloween and all the pumpkin carving, costume-wearing, and candy that go along with it. But I am not much for Halloween-y movies and definitely not scary or creepy flicks! One time I went through a list of the "Top 50" Halloween movies and I've seen eight of them.

The closest to a "real" Halloween movie is Beetlejuice, which I loved. Otherwise, my favorites are movies that are a bit of a stretch for Halloween, like  Young Frankenstein, Ghostbusters, and Scooby Doo. But I have to admit a weakness for Linus and his sincere pumpkin patch in It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. I really wish for the great pumpkin right along with Linus and every year, I'm just as disappointed that he doesn't show up!


"I've learned there are three things never to discuss with people: 
religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin."  --Linus Van Pelt

Happy Halloween, everyone!




ANGI
If you've read about my favorites films, you'll already know that my favorite movie depends on the season and day of the week. LOL So...while I love all the movies my co-hosts have claimed... Right now I have to go back to the scariest book and movie I've ever seen... THE SHINING (yeah, the one with Jack Nicholson). It's crazy appropriate to choose this year since DOCTOR SLEEP releases November 8th. (Plus it's staring Ewan McGregor as the little boy all grown up!!!!) 







I remember reading THE SHINING while alone in my apartment. I quickly moved from the coach to my bed and stayed up all night to finish the book. By the time I reached The End...I was covered in pillows and blankets (as if those would protect me from ghostly spirits). 

This is not the best quote of the movie or book. But as a writer one of the scariest scenes in the movie is when Jack has finished his book and his wife is reading to find page after page after hundreds of pages of the same line (yes, every writer's nightmare!).

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

HAPPY HALLOWEEN
(And let me know if you plan on seeing Doctor Sleep.)



Now its your turn!!
What is YOUR favorite Halloween movie and/or quote?? 
LEAVE YOUR COMMENT AND EMAIL!!
One winner will receive this entire bundle of digital treats from our authors!!








26 comments:

  1. Hocus Pocus
    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun movie, one of my favorite scenes is when the Sanderson Sisters get on the bus...or when Penny Marshall kicks them out of her house, throwing Clark Bars at them ;)

      Delete
    2. The rendition of 'I put a spell on you" is one of my fav scenes!

      Delete
  2. My favorite movie for Halloween would have to be “IT”. I watch it every Halloween. I know there is nothing about Halloween in the movie, but, I have just never gotten into the other Halloween movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did you think of the latest version or squeal??

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. OMGoodness...deadline brain...trying to post my comment a second time *sigh* I like watching classic horror movies from the '30s: Dracula with Bela Lugosi, Frankenstein with Boris Karloff, The Mummy with Boris Karloff. But love Lon Chaney, Jr. in The Wolf Man from the '40s...and cannot forget The Creature from the Black Lagoon from '50s ;)

      Delete
  3. oh no I am a scary movie wimp = since back in the day of The Exorcist or Carrie - never saw either one all the way through to the end!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you believe I've never seen either of those? The two famous scenes made me go ..."ick" !!

      Delete
    2. OMGoodness, I've never seen either movie either! BUT I read the Exorcist and could not sleep without the light on for three months! Scared the ever-living-you-know-what out of me!!!

      Delete
    3. I saw the original Carrie and wow, if that isnt the epitome of bullying in school--and lets not talk about her mother...I'm not into scary movies anymore, not the way they make them now. But I DO love the Geico commercial where the teens hide behind the chainsaws!

      Delete
  4. Happy Halloween! Love Practical Magic! :) Not a fan of Horror or really scary movies... greenshamrock atcox dotnet ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay...another vote for Practical Magic! Love, that movie *sigh*

      Delete
    2. Put the lime in the coconut...I think my fav scene is when she mixes the potion and lets the wind carry it to that little cowboy!

      Delete
  5. I watch Practical Magic all year long !! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you Angi...any time of year! But then again, I love watching Mel Brooks' movies any time of the year too...love Young Frankenstein ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We quote Young Frankenstein all the time.
      "Walk this way."

      Delete
  7. Absolutely love Practical Magic, it’s my favorite all time
    Anytime

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amuck! Amuck! Amuck! What a fun movie! Little trivia, did you know that Thankery Binx is really Timothy McGee from NCIS??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like pratical magic i am not a fan of being scared and just don't like being scared so i would rather watch like Amamda is saying NCIS and i love Timothy Mcgee and all of the other agents and the Gibbs talk guess he won't be hooking up with jamie lee curtis at all. I did not know that his real name was thankery Binx that is a terrible name peggy clayton ptclaton2@aol.com

    ReplyDelete