2/14/2013

Happy Valentine's Day!

Today, I'm happy to welcome, Harlequin Superromance author Mary Sullivan for a guest blog.

Take it away, Mary!


Maureen, thank you for having me back on Get Lost in a Story. I always have such a good time here!

Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone!

I’d like to tell you about the book I have coming out in March, but before we go there, I want to share my favorite Valentine’s Day ‘blooper,’ because I like the lighter side of love! Years ago, I had been dating a man I liked a lot for a while, so I invited him over to my apartment for our first romantic home-cooked dinner.

I wanted to make it really special and decided to make chicken simmered in champagne, which is delicious and moist and oh so romantic. There were other yummy things to serve with it and, of course, chocolate for dessert.

After he arrived, I started browning the chicken and asked him to open the champagne. At the time, my apartment was a schoolroom in a former private girl’s school. It’s now a heritage building and beautifully restored. My kitchen was miniscule—a repurposed cloakroom—so he carried the bottle into the large airy schoolroom, which was my living room, dining room and bedroom. When he took the wire from the cork, it exploded out of the bottle. Half of the champagne shot up, hit the ceiling and then dripped onto the floor and sofa…and him. My date looked at me sheepishly, shrugged and we both started to laugh. When we finally managed to stop laughing, we cleaned up the floor and sofa…and him. I cooked the chicken with what was left in the bottle and it was delicious. We had a great night despite the mishap, but remembered that Valentine’s Day for years. It was a good memory.

Now…on to my next release. In January, I told you about my February Superromance, IN FROM THE COLD, and how much I enjoyed writing the details of my hero’s dogsledding business, using my one dogsledding adventure as the basis for details in the book.

My hero is Gabe Jordan, the eldest of three brothers.

In my March Superromance, HOME TO LAURA, the hero is the youngest brother, Nick. He and Gabe have been estranged for years, because of something nasty that Nick did to Gabe when they were young. He has a lot to make up for. It takes Nick a while to redeem himself in this book, but he eventually does. Along with hurting his brother all of those years ago, he also damaged the heroine, so some of his redemption includes groveling.

The hero and heroine’s first meeting when he returns to town, though, is rather explosive. In the cover photo, you can see the results of that encounter J



Here’s the back cover copy:

‘A single encounter with the gorgeous Laura Cameron and
 Nick Jordan knows he has a lot to make up for. What he did to her years ago changed their lives dramatically. Unfortunately making amends isn’t easy, especially when this sizzling attraction keeps interfering with his good intentions. He’s torn between the strong urge to get out of the hometown he despises and exploring what could develop between them.
The longer Nick’s in Colorado, though, the more he seems tied to this place. His daughter insists he reconcile with his estranged brothers. And the project that brought him here has hit a roadblock. But the one thing that could tip the scales in keeping him here? When Laura announces she’s pregnant...with his child!’
The middle brother, Tyler’s, story spans the two books.

The book will be out in ebook format through harlequin.com and Amazon.com on March 2nd. It will be in bookstores on March 12th.

I’m giving away a copy of HOME TO LAURA to someone who leaves a comment today.

I would dearly love to hear some of your Valentine ‘bloopers.’ While Valentine’s Day is all about love and hearts and flowers—and lovely romantic dinners—I can’t believe I’m the only one who has ever had my Valentine’s Day plans go awry! Please share.



11 comments:

  1. This is a good book to read for valentines day! Thank you for sharing this. The book cover looks so romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorothy, Harlequin Superromance covers changed at the beginning of 2013. I love the new look. They're also 10,000 words longer--a nice substantial read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary,

    For our first Valentine's Day when we were dating, my husband planned a romantic drive up the California coast. We had a nice day in Solvang, then when we tried to find a hotel, they were all full. After trying Santa Barbara and Ventura We ended up in Los Angeles County before we found an open hotel. Of course I married him, but now I plan all our trips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Tammy! I don't blame you for doing all of the planning these days :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Valentine's Day! can't think of any bloopers

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, welcome back to Get Lost in a Story. Chicken and Champagne, what a combination. Would love the recipe, and I would love your book, but have to DQ myself. I'll add it to my to be read list though! Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Angi, I'm happy to be back!

    Donnell, I'll look for the recipe on the weekend. If I still have it, I'll email it to you.

    Have a great Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous cover. :)

    Hmmm... not much comes to mind when it comes to Valentine's Day. My husband isn't the romantic type... He's a good guy but he is not into Valentine's day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, none except the year in high school when my dad filched all my Valentine candy [hidden I thought in the porch freezer] so that the next weekend, it was all gone!! I now wish I'd asked him why he just didn't replace the box with a new one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. CONGRATULATIONS MAY.
    Mary contacted you directly for your book.

    ReplyDelete