6/13/2019

Jacqui Nelson’s North of the Border with guest Eleanor Webster


Who’s next on my North of the Border guest blog series? Today we have Eleanor Webster, author of A Debutante in Disguise.

Where does Eleanor get her inspiration? How is Canada part of her inspiration? Read on and see...

~  * ~

Getting Inspiration 


Sir, 
It has been stated to me that Inspector-General Dr James Barry, who died at 14 Margaret Street on 25 July 1865, was after his death found to be female. 

This was included in a letter sent by the British General Registrar to the doctor who attended Dr. James Barry at the time of death, July 25, 1865.

I learned about Dr. Barry while researching Canadian doctors for a non-fiction middle grade children’s book.  Unfortunately, that manuscript still remains hopefully on my laptop entitled ‘doctors’ . However, feisty, fascinating Dr. James Barry intrigued me and this story of disguise and subterfuge inspired aspects of my newest release, A Debutante in Disguise.

Barry came to Canada quite late in life as Inspector General of Hospitals and remained in that post until illness led to retirement. Dr. Barry was mercurial in temperament, tactless and quite brilliant. Indeed, Barry succeeded in performing the first Caesarean Section in African where both mother and child survived – no mean feat in those days. Barry also espoused radical ideas like the concept that adequate sanitation and nutrition may improve health.

However, the most fascinating aspect of Barry’s story occurs after death when it was reported that Dr. Barry, who had lived his entire life as a man was, in fact, a woman.

Most now believe that Barry was either a woman or possibly inter sex.  This remains up for debate and conjecture but it is generally agreed that Barry was Mary Anne Bulkley’s child. Mrs. Bulkley had one son (named John) and two daughters. Her older daughter, Margaret Bulkley, evaporated from history and, four years later, Barry emerged from the University of Edinburgh’s Medical School. Following graduation, Barry became a medical surgeon and was posted throughout the British Empire and eventually, Canada. I have not done sufficient research to form an opinion as to whether Barry was female or intersex. The burial was prompt and that may always remain a mystery. (Although – interesting factoid- if female, Barry would be Canada’s first female doctor).

However, I am convinced that Barry had a secret and lived a life of pretense in order to pursue a medical career.

This inspired me to create the protagonist in A Debutante in Disguise, Letty. She is a brilliant woman with a scientific mind and drive to be a doctor in a time when society did not believe that women had minds and certainly could not pursue ‘doctoring’.

Even when not in disguise, Letty is somewhat of an oddity. She lacks an interest in the occupations which most society women enjoyed and often felt different from others. It seems too often we adopt the sheep mentality. We like those who are the same and are apprehensive of those who seem different. I loved creating this character and loved that she was shaped, in part, by the medical pioneer with a Canadian twist.

Eleanor's Pictures
Canadian winters - great for uninterrupted writing...until the power goes off

Friendly Neighbors
More Friendly Neighbors
Bear Glacier, outside Stewart, British Columbia

~ * ~
Giveaway

I love to interact with my readers! Please post a comment below by June 19 and I will select someone to receive an e-copy of my latest book A Debutante in Disguise.

~ * ~ 
A Debutante in Disguise

A society lady

…with a secret!

Determined to help people, Letty Barton has a double life—she’s a trained doctor! No one must know “Dr. Hatfield” is actually a woman. Called to an emergency, she comes face-to-face with her patient’s brother, Lord Anthony Ashcroft… They’d once shared a spark-filled flirtation—now he’s a brooding, scarred war hero. But how long will it be before he recognizes her beneath her disguise and the sparks begin to fly once more?

Amazon PrintAmazon KindleBarnes & Noble PrintBarnes & Noble NookGoogle Play

~ * ~

Eleanor Webster loves high-heels and sun, which is ironic as she lives in northern Canada, the land of snowhills and unflattering footwear. Various crafting experiences, including a nasty glue-gun episode, have proven that her creative soul is best expressed through the written word. Eleanor is currently pursuing a doctoral degree in psychology and holds an undergraduate degree in history and creative writing. She loves to use her writing to explore her fascination with the past.


~ All pictures (except for the 1st) are supplied by today’s guest with their assurance of usage rights. 

11 comments:

  1. The pictures are beautiful! Thanks for the chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello I'm so happy sharing this, I still can’t thank you enough powerful Priest Elijah, My husband left for a younger lady because i was unable to give birth due to PCOS,I was so devastated i was lonely i cried a lot i even tried taking my life, Then my friend told me about this great man Priest Elijah who helped her made her marriage perfect, I also went online and did more research about him i was not too sure but i decided to give him a try he told me not to worry everything was going to be alright, He told me all i needed to pay which was a convenient fee and i did and he did his work and sent me video proof and told me to wait 24hrs that he will be back, The next morning to my greatest surprise it was Shawn my husband on his knees begging I'm so happy, It didn’t stop there, I'm proud to say that I'm 3 weeks pregnant thank you so much Priest Elijah I'm forever grateful contact him

      Email: universalspellhelp@gmail.com or

      universalspellhelp@yahoo.com

      WhatsApp him +2347054380994

      Website: https://universalspellhelp.wixsite.com/priestelijah

      Delete
  2. Wonderful pics... enjoyed the sound of your book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hubby and I were discussing the paternalistic culture of our ancestors 9and some contemporaries) and wondered where the notion came from that men were superior in mind to women. In school it always frustrated me that it took the Privy Council to declare women "persons." What else would they be? I hope you write the story of Dr. Barry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. fun pics, lots of snow
    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pics and also love the excerpt from the book and it sounds so good the only thing is i can't do ebook i can do print and will review on 2 sites. peggy clayton ptclayton2@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating story about Dr. Barry! I love how research triggers stories in our minds. Thanks for being our guest Eleanor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to GLIAS!!! Awesome story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for visiting Eleanor's guest blog with me ❤️ And thank you for your comments, Linda, Colleen, Alice, Bn, Peggy, Elisabeth and Angi ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. E.E. Burke, you're our winner! Please email me at Sue@UpStartSocialMedia.com (I'm Eleanor's assistant) and let me know what format you would like for the book! I'll have it right out to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello I'm so happy sharing this, I still can’t thank you enough powerful Priest Elijah, My husband left for a younger lady because i was unable to give birth due to PCOS,I was so devastated i was lonely i cried a lot i even tried taking my life, Then my friend told me about this great man Priest Elijah who helped her made her marriage perfect, I also went online and did more research about him i was not too sure but i decided to give him a try he told me not to worry everything was going to be alright, He told me all i needed to pay which was a convenient fee and i did and he did his work and sent me video proof and told me to wait 24hrs that he will be back, The next morning to my greatest surprise it was Shawn my husband on his knees begging I'm so happy, It didn’t stop there, I'm proud to say that I'm 3 weeks pregnant thank you so much Priest Elijah I'm forever grateful contact him

    Email: universalspellhelp@gmail.com or

    universalspellhelp@yahoo.com

    WhatsApp him +2347054380994

    Website: https://universalspellhelp.wixsite.com/priestelijah

    ReplyDelete