9/02/2019

Stories of the Heart: Amanda McIntyre


Teach Your Children Well

Amanda McIntyre



Behind Door #1:
Kindness. Respect. Loyalty. Empathy. Understanding. Listening. Service. Compassion. Fairness. Caring.

Behind Door #2:
Selfishness. Entitlement. Bitterness. Anger. Divisiveness Bullying. Self-importance. Mean-spirited. Uncaring.

Having grandsons, I am more reminded of what I say and how a behave around them. I try to be cognizant of what influences their fresh and fertile minds, even as I did with my own children.

Did they turn out well? I believe they did. Not without some mistakes, some rough patches along the way. But instilled in them was the very basic value of human kindness- “do to others what you would have them do to you.” (Matthew 7:12)

You may not attend church every Sunday. You may not sit on the board of deacons, or even lead a Bible study—I leave that to the convictions of your conscience and will. And please note that in no way am  I suggesting in any fathomable way that I am perfect for God knows better! 

As I watch my grandsons and see on social media little clips of small children caring for each other, being kind, or creating solutions for problems that adults will quibble over until the cows come home. I wonder at what point—what age—does the disconnect come?

Is it a show of weakness to be kind? Does it show some lack of understanding of reality to care, to have empathy? There are those who would believe it to be so. Respectfully, I disagree, again that I leave to your own choice.


In my opinion, teaching begins at home. This is  true whether you home school, a single parent, if both parents work, or one stays at home. It’s true of foster parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles. 

There was a initiative started by one of Iowa's most beloved governors back when I was growing up. It's purpose to instill the six pillars of character; trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and citizenship not only in our schools, but in our communities, businesses and our politicians.  Read More about the Robert D and Billie Ray Center here.


While experience may be the culprit of where the disconnect happens, where it might be easier to choose a different path, the truth is that it is our choice. And that choice will influence all those you meet every single day.

What will you choose, door #1, or door #2?






5 comments:

  1. Door #! ;) I absolutely agree with you and am so glad I was able to read this today at the end of a very long few days. Your blog lifted me up. Thank you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello I'm so happy sharing this, I still can’t thank you enough powerful Priest Elijah, My husband left for a younger lady because i was unable to give birth due to PCOS,I was so devastated i was lonely i cried a lot i even tried taking my life, Then my friend told me about this great man Priest Elijah who helped her made her marriage perfect, I also went online and did more research about him i was not too sure but i decided to give him a try he told me not to worry everything was going to be alright, He told me all i needed to pay which was a convenient fee and i did and he did his work and sent me video proof and told me to wait 24hrs that he will be back, The next morning to my greatest surprise it was Shawn my husband on his knees begging I'm so happy, It didn’t stop there, I'm proud to say that I'm 3 weeks pregnant thank you so much Priest Elijah I'm forever grateful contact him

      Email: universalspellhelp@gmail.com or

      universalspellhelp@yahoo.com

      WhatsApp him +2347054380994

      Website: https://universalspellhelp.wixsite.com/priestelijah

      Delete
  2. I loved this today and needed it as rough couple of days for me ! Peggy Clayton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello I'm so happy sharing this, I still can’t thank you enough powerful Priest Elijah, My husband left for a younger lady because i was unable to give birth due to PCOS,I was so devastated i was lonely i cried a lot i even tried taking my life, Then my friend told me about this great man Priest Elijah who helped her made her marriage perfect, I also went online and did more research about him i was not too sure but i decided to give him a try he told me not to worry everything was going to be alright, He told me all i needed to pay which was a convenient fee and i did and he did his work and sent me video proof and told me to wait 24hrs that he will be back, The next morning to my greatest surprise it was Shawn my husband on his knees begging I'm so happy, It didn’t stop there, I'm proud to say that I'm 3 weeks pregnant thank you so much Priest Elijah I'm forever grateful contact him

    Email: universalspellhelp@gmail.com or

    universalspellhelp@yahoo.com

    WhatsApp him +2347054380994

    Website: https://universalspellhelp.wixsite.com/priestelijah

    ReplyDelete