11/13/2018

Romance and Danger in the French Alps with Laura Boon


A book set in France, a dash of Alpine danger, and snow on the cover? I am so there! Welcome Laura Boon – whose debut novel The Millionaire Mountain Climber, out now, is clearly tailor-made for me.

About Laura...

Laura Boon stole her first romance from her father’s bookshelves as a teenager, The Flame and the Flower by Kathleen Woodiwiss, and was immediately captivated. After holding a variety of positions in publishing, from bookseller to sales rep and publicist, she eventually found the courage to write her own stories. She was born in Zambia, grew up in South Africa, and went to university in America. She now lives in Australia with her husband and their adorable Pekingese Beau. When she is not reading or writing, she enjoys sleuthing for artisan chocolate and beautiful stationery, watching tennis, and walking alongside Sydney’s beautiful harbor. 

Connect with Laura via her website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Goodreads.

 When danger threatens a bona fide city girl, an adventurer is her only hope of rescue 

Mountain climber Matt Hanley is a former investment manager whose lean body and rugged good looks epitomize an outdoor adrenaline junky. When his business partner in their country hotel is injured, he needs an efficient replacement in a hurry.

Hailey Gordon lives a chic city life free of adventures and daredevils. She craves stability and security but loses her job and boyfriend on the same day. A holiday job in France is the perfect escape from her troubles.

Sparks ignite when Matt and Hailey meet, but she resolves to ignore the flame flickering between them. Aside from the fact Matt is her boss, she's convinced he is not her type. Matt is determined to teach Hailey to look beyond appearances. He needs to show her how good they are together, even if he must risk life and limb to do so.



Read a little...

Hailey drank in the landscape, noticing the clarity of the late afternoon sky and the way the snow-capped peaks glistened despite the fading light.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” said Matt.  “Trending down the valley, you have the villages of Argentiere and Les Praz and the town of Chamonix. Behind Chamonix you can see the Grand Mama of all the peaks, Mont Blanc.”

“Yes, the pens––and the chocolates.” She shook her head. What hubris to name a pen after the magnificent towering peak, but what marketing genius.

Matt grinned. “Ah, you know the chocolates, do you? We’ll have to buy you some.”

“From the lips to the hips,” she murmured, “and I am sure they don’t do the mountain justice.”

“Come on, let’s get you inside before your face turns blue, and I earn a reprimand from Genie for chatting up scantily-clad women in sub-zero temperatures.”

“Really? You were chatting me up? I’m flattered.”

The smile turned wicked. “You’re welcome.” As he bent to pick up her suitcase, he dropped his head next to hers and murmured into her ear in a low, deep voice, sending shivers down her spine. “For the record, Hailey, your curves are perfect. A little chocolate won’t do them any harm.”

She blushed, and the fire of his words flickered all the way through her belly. When was the last time her ex had paid her a compliment? An appalling thought crossed her mind; she, the High Priestess of Order and Long-Term Planning, was ripe for the picking and contemplating a holiday romance.

Buy the book at Amazon, iBooks, Kobo, Google Play, or the Wild Rose Press

Let's Talk!

Avril: Tell us about your change from the business side of publishing to the author side. 
Laura: I loved working in publishing for two reasons. I got to meet many authors, most of whom are wonderful, inspiring, generous individuals. And I got to promote books, which I believe are a cornerstone of civilization. Since my early twenties I’ve wanted to write a book of my own, but always feared it would never be good enough. Then I had to learn how to do it. Working with my publisher was a wonderful experience. As an author, I couldn’t have asked for more. I do have this problem creature who followed me home from my day job, my publicity alter ego. She sits on my shoulders and nags me every day about what I haven’t done yet from a marketing, publicity and social media perspective – and no matter how much she whines, I just can’t get to everything! As an author, I’ve realized I have to set goals and then just try to get as close as possible. Being an author is still a surreal experience for me. I’m inspired and touched by the kindness of other authors and readers.

Avril: I love the idea of reading a romance set in the French Alps – what made you choose that setting?
Laura: I love to travel. These days I do it mostly from my armchair. I wanted that escape and thought other readers might enjoy it too. I chose the French Alps because I have been lucky enough to visit them, so I could picture the village where I set The Millionaire Mountain Climber. They’re beautiful, challenging, romantic. It’s also my experience that when you are off home ground, you are more open to new ideas and experiences, so it was a way to both test my characters and give them opportunity.

Avril: I understand your heroine is on the feisty side – are we going to see a few more feisty heroines from you in the future? 
Laura: Oh yes! Feistiness is an essential survival skill for a woman. My first romantic heroine was Jane Eyre and she was constantly called stubborn and sullen. I read into that ‘not a doormat’, opinionated, feisty and resilient.

Avril: What’s your favorite kind of hero?
Laura: I like an Alpha who is a Beta – or a Beta who is an Alpha – by which I mean a man who is confident, knows his own mind, and is good at what he does. He can sometimes be bossy, even arrogant, but he is never domineering and aggressive to those over whom he has power. And he has to have a sense of humor. If you can’t laugh at the world, days are dark indeed.

Avril: I know you’re a fellow Georgette Heyer fan – what made you choose contemporary over historical for your foray into fiction writing?
Laura: Ha! I was stupid enough to think a contemporary romance would be easier to write because I wouldn’t have to do research. Yes, I can hear all the contemporary romance writers in the universe doubling up in laughter. It didn’t take me long to work out how wrong I was, but by then I was committed, and my characters determined I would finish their journey. I’m still planning to write historical romance, but first I have a contemporary quartet to finish.

Avril: What’s your pet hate in romance novels?
Laura: First person heroes who describe their achievements in glowing terms. “I’m a ruthless, self-made multi-billionaire, the best in the business with the biggest dick that all the chicks love.” *Gags* I read one that was literally that bad, which is to say I started it, but when he answered the door to interview the heroine for a housekeeping job in nothing but a towel which he then dropped in the kitchen to display his ‘assets’, I fled through the front door alongside her, never to return. I think first person is hard to write for that exact reason; you’re permanently inside the characters’ heads but they absolutely can’t talk about themselves.

 Laura is giving away an eBook of The Millionaire Mountain Climber (open internationally). Comment on the blog to enter, and please include your email address either with your comment, or private message it to Avril Tremayne via Facebook.



6 comments:

  1. Hi Laura and Avril

    Huge congratulations on you debut Laura it us a fantastic story I loved Matt and Hailey and the setting such fabulous characters a real page Turner

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting me Avril. It’s been fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting post
    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love France - I can't recall the last time I read a romance set in France so this looks interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when a publishing professional becomes an author! Great interview, Avril! Can't wait to read Laura's book--I love the cover. And The Flame and the Flower was one of the first historical romance novels I read, too!

    ReplyDelete