1/26/2011

Sandy Blair

GETS LOST IN TIME
The ghost and the legend have influenced MacKinnon heirs’ lives for centuries…and not for the better. Now the ghost and a new heir love finally have an opportunity to put the fear to rest.

“How bad could it be?” That’s all Sarah Colbert had thought when she agreed to chaperone her sixth grade students’ field trip through Edinburgh. She’s about to find out when she and her students find themselves trapped in a Highland glen that time forgot with a battle-scarred warrior they’ll never forget.


GETTING TO KNOW SANDY
Sandy Blair is--to me--first a friend and then an amazing author. We were lucky to have her in Texas for a number of years and it’s a darn shame (for her chaptermates) that she moved closer to her family (definitely lucky for them). This is her daughter's home...Sandy's moving nearby.
I remember performing a skit with Sandy many many moons ago at our chapter to demonstrate what NOT to do at an editor appointment. Sandy & I both were chosen (or volunteered) to do it incorrectly. I smacked gum, came in sweats, kind of was totally unprepared. Sandy--well, every time I read Silhouette, I remember her mispronouncing it Sil-ho-EEtEE. I nearly swallowed my gum. She obviously learned enough appointment etiquette to succeed in the publishing industry.

Sandy has slept in castles, dined with peerage, knelt in cathedrals where kings and queens have been crowned, floated down Venetian canals, lost her husband in an Egyptian ruin (she denies being the one lost) and fallen (gracefully) off a cruise ship.

Winner of the National Readers Choice Award for Best Paranormal Romance, the Golden Quill for Best Novella, and nominated for a RITA, Sandy Blair loves writing about Scotland’s past, its brawny men and the stalwart women that captured their hearts and minds.
Pictured here in 2005 with Author Jo Beverly. (Notice Sandy's RWA RITA flag? Ask her what she wore to pick up her Golden Heart award.)
~ ~ SHORT & SASSY Q&A ~ ~
ANGI: How often to you get lost in a story?
SANDY: 95% of the time. The rest were too painful to finish.

ANGI: What’s the first book you remember reading?
SANDY: Wild Fire by Zane Gray

ANGI: What’s your favorite “love” word?
SANDY: Cherish

ANGI: What’s your favorite fairy tale?
SANDY: Beauty and the Beast

ANGI: What turns you off like nothing else?
SANDY: Bad breath

ANGI: Is there a playlist you’d recommend for reading your latest release?
SANDY: Wish there was.

ANGI: Where do you read and how often?
SANDY: I read myself to sleep every night.

ANGI: What sound or noise do you love?
SANDY: The surf, and one of the reasons we just moved to the beach.

ANGI: Die Hard or Die Harder?
SANDY: Die Hard

ANGI: What was the first story you remember writing?
SANDY: The Dragon’s Legacy, an Irish tale

ANGI: What’s your favorite movie of all time?
SANDY: While You Were Sleeping

ANGI: Is writing or story-telling easier for you?
SANDY: If you mean which is easier; the literary factor or the telling of the tale, then the telling of the tale is the answer.

ANGI: What’s something you’d like to tell your fans?
SANDY: I love hearing from them.

ANGI’S GOTTA ASK: So, Sandy. You write Scottish stories and heroes. Tell us about a trip to Scotland, some hunk you met there who just had to go into a story. There is one, right?
SANDY’S GOTTA ANSWER: Actually I took the Highlander hunk with me. He’s 6’ 5”, broad shouldered, handsome, funny, and of the Stewarts of Appin…my dh.

GOT A QUESTION YOU’D LIKE TO ASK YOUR FANS?
What is it about Highlanders and/or historicals that attracts you? I’ll draw from those leaving a comment for a copy of my new release, Her MacKinnon in the Mammoth Book of Scottish Romance.
UPDATE: Amy G you're the winner. Get in touch with us at GetLostInAStory@gmail.com with your info.

STAY IN TOUCH WITH SANDY: Find castle photos, writing tips, and more on at www.SandyBlair.net

DON’T FORGET to check back tomorrow for another Scottish author, Diana Cosby AND on Friday when we visit with Cara Elliott. AND for the winner of Sandy’s latest book.

Note: Offer void where prohibited. Prizes will be mailed to North America addresses only. Odds of winning vary due to the number of entrants.

~~Til next week, Angi

20 comments:

  1. Welcome to GLIAS, Sandy. I hope you're warm up east (but it's still cold here too).

    I didn't get a chance to get a more in-depth answer to a couple of things...and I'm curious:

    First...why Die Hard instead of Die Harder?
    Second: Uhm...Just how did you fall off a cruise ship?

    Hope you enjoy your day with us!
    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for inviting me, Angi.

    Why Die Hard? Perhaps it was the surprise factor/originality.

    As for my falling off a cruise ship all it takes is a open door 2 stories above the water, a sun dress, and a broad-brimmed hat (with ribbons to add a touch of the dramatic.) Landing without breaking your neck or drowning is the tough part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Sandy's work and her gracious mentoring of those of us at DARA. We wish you didn't have to go, but wish you many long weekends snowed in to get the story finished and lots of snow angels. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss you as well, Wendy. And I've been snowed in for weeks now and we're expecting more this evening. (Would you believe the picnic table on the patio is totally buried in snow?! Oy.

    Driving in this mess has proved the biggest challenge. I wanted to attend the NH chapter metting which is an hour away but thought better of it after I went slip sliding away in a local store parking lot. Thank God no one was coming the other way.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sandy! Welcome to GLIAS. As a right brainer, I loved that you answered our question of how often you got lost in a story in percentages!

    As for why I love historicals, it is twofold. One, I think they maintain a fairytale quality without having to suspend disbelief as much and two, you still get the feeling that you are being transported to a different world, yet one that existed, albiet in the past, but that makes it feel very real. Plus, I simply love history and enjoy seeing it woven into stories.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heather,
    I totally agree about fairy tale quality. I also love learning something new about a period I find interesting. Researching tales is half the fun for me. (Culling detail down to the bare essentials is the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes, Sandy, when I read that you lost your husband. I thought oh dear, and then read on to you merely lost your husband temporarily... Always a good thing. I would have loved to have seen Angi and your skit. I'll bet it was hysterical.

    I think what attracts me to historicals is it allows each of us to be time travelers in a way. It's impossible to know what these people went through, but thanks to brilliant authors who tell these stories, we get to live vicariously. Thanks for joining GLIAS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Donnell,
    Thanks for posting. Angi did a great job with this blog. And we did have fun with that skit.

    As for losing my dh, the scary part was not knowing where he was for an hour, fearing he'd been taken for ransom...which is a legitimate worry in that part of the world. He, of course, knew he was safe and had the same worry about me. He'd returned to our cruise ship, was told I was seen in the dining room, check and didn't find me, then furious and worried went to the Captain and demanded the crew mount a search for me. Meanwhile I was in tears searching the ruin (while soliders with AK7s looked on) then the bizarre thinking he might have gone there for some reason. A total nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading time travels. Love especially the Highlanders who are involved. Why? For all the reasons above...I think it's mainly because it was real, but then it's pretend. And what's not to like about a kilt and a pair of strong legs?

    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Help--My first comment was NOT posted. PLEASE
    post this one.

    Sandy--I love your books, and I'm fascinated by history, and historical fiction. I love getting lost in a TT story, especially set in the Scottish Highlands.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sandy, I am so pleased at your success. Not only does your wonderful writing deserve recognition, but you are genuinely one of the nicest people I've ever met. We miss you so at DARA. Please keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Duh! I was so lost in missing your lovely smile that I forgot to answer your question. So many of my ancestors were Scot-Irish/Scottish plus my husband looks like a Highlander, so I definitely identify with Scottish heroes and heroines. In fact, once on the street in Edinburgh, I passed a woman who looked so much like my mother-in-law from photos of her as a young woman that they could have been twins. Reading Scottish historicals is like a wee trip to the old country. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. For Highlands I would have to say the accents, and for Historical's, well, it's just such a different world :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sandy, there is nothing worse than worrying about a love one's whereabouts. Relieved it wasn't anything serious. But I expect you can take those emotions you felt and turn them inward for some fantastic writing. :shudder: Thanks again for being here and talking about your wonderful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Four years ago I spend a glorious two weeks in the Highlands. Beautiful magical place. Was serenaded by a handsome man in a pub and another one wearing a kilt and playing the bagpipes in a train station.

    And oh yes, I never really got the fascination little boys have about peeking up little girl's dresses until I went to a Highland Games in Blair Atholl. LOL!

    I am convinced that it is absolutely possible to time travel in the Highlands, lass!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE Scotland. One of my favorite places.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ann: How sweet of you to let me know you've enjoy my tales. THANK YOU! I truly appreciate your kind words.

    Hi Caroline: You are the sweetest! Seriously, she's amazing. Bet to hell and back and still writes the best tales ever.

    Hi Chelsea: I love the accents as well. Just listening to a Scottish burr can raise my temperature and send me on the hunt for a feather bed.;)

    Gjillian: Isn't Scotland ethereal? I love every square foot of it. I even have a picture of my dh knocking on Blair Atholl's front door. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You guys are making me want to go to Scotland!

    Nice to meet you Sandy - you sound like awesome fun. Though traveling with you sounds a little hazardous, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Simone,
    Love your name. Yup, decidely hazardous. Scott has threatened to put a leash on me.:)

    ReplyDelete