3/04/2013

A Kid in a Candy Shop


I’ve been an epublished author for just about a year with three books under my belt. But nothing can compare to the excitement of receiving my first print book. In many ways, I was as giddy as a child stepping into a candy shop for the first time.

I’ve been writing fiction for as long as I can remember. When I received my first official contract (with Decadent Publishing), I was over the moon. Finally someone other than my friends and critique partners believed in my writing enough to take a chance on me. That, in itself, was a huge lift. Since that first contract, I’ve gone through some more firsts and the excitement has been replaced by the feeling of professionalism. This is, after all, a job.
But this new first, of getting to hold my print book in my hands, I didn’t mind indulging in the giddiness of a newbie. Finally, after 41 years, I was able to hold a book of my own creation in my hands. Even as I type this my heart is squeezing and I’m getting giddy all over again. I grinned from ear to ear until my cheeks hurt the day UPS delivered my copies. A world of emotions swirled inside my chest. Excitement (of course), pride (because one of my dreams had come true), concern (because what if nobody wanted it???), humility (because even though I was at this awesome place in my writing life, I still have SO MUCH to learn), thanks (to Decadent Publishing for believing in me still), and hope (because where will my writing career take me next?).
But I think mostly over the last month, I focused on enjoying the feel of my print book in my fingers and the smell of paper pages. I took the book with me to work, to meetings with friends, to my exercise classes at the gym. I wanted everyone who touched my life to see what I had created. There will always be time enough to focus on the professional aspects of the job. For a while, I just want to cherish being that little kid in the candy shop for the very first time.
Me, in Scotland one summer


9 comments:

  1. Alexa, congratulations! Holding your book in your hands is an amazing experience. Enjoy every second of your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you still have that first-time excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! :)

    Must be exciting to reach your goal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone! Yep. My only regret is some of the most supportive people are no longer with us and can't be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alexa, HUGE Congrats! Enjoy every moment of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HURRAY!!! Congrats, Alexa and may you have many many more thrills associated with your books.
    ~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Heather and Angi! I'm so happoy I get to share this story here, too!

    ReplyDelete