2/07/2014

Friday with the Crew - Valentine's Day Celebrations!

Image credit
Ah, February.  It's still cold outside, but Valentine's Day gives us the perfect excuse to curl up with that special someone (strictly for warmth, of course) :)  I know some people love Valentine's Day, while others view it as a crass, commercial 'fake' holiday.  Me?  I've always been a fan, simply because the day after Valentine's, all the chocolate goes on sale.

Want to know how a romance writer celebrates Valentine's Day?  It might not be as exotic as you think...

E.E. Burke

What's your ideal Valentine's Day date like?
Up in a treehouse with dinner brought in, French food and lots of wine. 

How would your characters celebrate Valentine's Day?
Valentine's cards were all the rage in the 19th century, so I think they might exchange cards. And spend the day in bed. 

What's the most romantic thing that's happened to you in real life?
I got married Valentine's weekend, and every Valentine's Day my husband and I get to celebrate our anniversary. [Lara: Everybody say it with me now: Awww...]

Jillian Stone

How would your characters celebrate Valentine's Day? 
In my first erotic novel for Ellora's Cave, Bradley Craig finds Gracie Taylor-Scott's belly button piercing more than distracting. His Valentine gift to her is a 3.2 carat excellent cut heart-shaped diamond belly button ring. Estimated value: $32,000. He calls it an investment in arousal, but the best part of the read is when he slips it in/on. TITLE TO BE ANNOUNCED Coming in Spring 2014 [Lara: Sounds hot!]

A big Valentine's Day kiss to all our readers and authors! 

Clover Autrey

What's your ideal Valentine's Day date like?
Scottish thistle
We rarely go out on Valentine's Day because we don't enjoy the crowds and would rather pick another day. We usually go for the old standbys of flowers and chocolate, but I like both of those. One year I was adventurous and went to my husband's work and plastered his inside windshield with sticky notes with one word written on each. He said he got a lot of cars honking at him as he pulled them off.

How would your characters celebrate Valentine's Day?
Most of my characters are time traveling so wouldn't really get into it. I do have one character, Col, who is a 13th Century Highlander displaced in our time. He loves movies so he probably would try and recreate something he saw on a chick flick. 

What's the most romantic thing that's happened to you in real life?
My husband is a musician so I've had several songs written and performed just for me.  [Lara: How sweet!]

Alexa Bourne

How would your characters celebrate Valentine's Day?
From my last book, Broken Road, Ian and Cat would spend the night in the B&B, the Kierlain House, in their Scottish Highland village. They'd have a fancy dinner and then have a wee dram in the pub. They'd do some dancing, spend some time by the fire and then cap the night off with a special evening in each other's arms.
From my December book, Liar, Liar, Devin and Grady would probably be having drinks, playing pool in a bar, and then they'd go back to Devin's house where she'd slip into her red stilettos and dance for him...until he decided he'd gone too long without holding her close.

Angi Morgan

What's your ideal Valentine's Day date like?
It doesn’t matter what the day has in store as long it’s completely planned by Tim instead of me.

How would your characters celebrate Valentine's Day?
Ooh la la!
NAVY SEAL SURRENDER, May 2014
John Sloane and Amy Adams went to the Valentine’s Dance all four years in high school. The February dance was almost as big as the school prom…bigger because all four grades attended. Tuxes, fancy dresses, corsages, pictures…and lots of hearts hanging from the gym ceiling. Very romantic. This year, John plans a romantic get-away. Just the two of them away from the family, away from kidnappings and serial killers. He’s packing up the truck and heading to Branson, Missouri for spa treatments and entertainment. Amy might have her own surprise in there, too. Something involving a heart-shaped hot tub in the room.

Lizbeth Selvig

What's your ideal Valentine's Day date like?
In all truth, my best Valentine’s days were when my kids were little. I was kind of goofy about decorating the dining room in schmaltzy pink and red hearts and balloons. I would make placemats with the kids out of construction paper and I’d buy little presents of chocolate and we always had candy hearts. I’d make something new and special for supper and everyone got cards.  It was the one holiday I went overboard on without going overboard (translation: it was always done on the cheap but it was gaudy like crazy.)  So, my perfect Valentine’s Day now would be to have my entire family home for dinner and recreate the fun. But—all my kids have their own sweethearts now, so I spend Valentine’s Day with my Valentine (see below). Which is wonderful too!
How would your characters celebrate Valentine's Day?
My current hero and heroine, David and Rio, would spend the day horseback riding into the woods and camping overnight. They’re both outdoorsy and David is a survival expert. I think minimalism would be their idea of a romantic atmosphere!
What's the most romantic thing that's happened to you in real life?
Definitely the day I married my husband. I was a young bride (19) and, honestly, nobody thought I knew what I was doing. They put on brave faces, but they knew the odds.  I’m thrilled to say that we beat those odds. We’ll be celebrating 40 years this fall and he’s still the best Valentine a girl could ask for. [Lara: Congratulations! :)]

You've heard our stories, now we want to know yours!  How do you celebrate Valentine's Day?

10 comments:

  1. Awesome post everybody. Thanks for putting it together, Lara. I really want to hear what everyone does for Valentine's Day. Tim needs ideas (it's his year) and I'll send him this link.
    ~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um... Lara... YOUR plans aren't here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No plans for me--I'm on deadline! My book is due the 15th, so I'm writing, writing, writing! :)

      Delete
  3. Ha Lara, that's funny that you didn't put yours on there. It's also funny that we are all so different, yet similar in what we like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool! Thanks Lara for doing this. Everyone has the perfect amount of romance, I think. Angi--I love that Tim "gets" to do it all. Good training on that man! E.E. - congrats on the Valentine's anniversaries--that is just the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - I am trying to be "good" about eating theses days. WHY did you have to put those delectable-looking chocolates at the beginning of the post? Now I'm scrounging the house ... :-D

      Delete
  5. You get to celebrate both your anniversary and Valentine's Day--two birds, one stone! We usually take a trip for our anniversary, so getting married on V-Day would have been bad because it would be harder to get hotel rooms and such! Happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete