7/18/2019

Jacqui Nelson’s North of the Border with guest Elizabeth Clements



Who’s next on my North of the Border guest blog series? Today we have Elizabeth Clements, author of Beneath A Fugitive Moon and the Prairie Moon Trilogy.

Where does Elizabeth get her inspiration? How is Canada part of her inspiration? Read on and see...
~  * ~

At 4:10 a.m. on April 29, 1903, the eastern summit of Turtle Mountain collapsed and in 90 seconds 90 million tons of limestone roared down upon Frank, Alberta, covering the coal mining town with rocks and boulders, some as huge as a two-story house. An interpretive center at nearby Blairmore in the Crowsnest Pass now pays tribute to the dozens of people who perished in Alberta’s worst coal mining disaster.


As I strolled among the exhibits, I paused in front of a life-size cardboard cutout of four immigrants. One face in particular captured my attention. I gazed into her weary, sad eyes and time and place slipped away and then there was just the two of us in silent communication.

It’s moments like this, when one’s imagination takes flight, that are inexplainable magic for a writer. I went home but couldn’t get her sad face out of my mind. I wrote a book, inspired by that disaster, then put it aside as the reality of job and family demanded attention.


Yet at times that story came to mind, so when Prairie Rose Publications asked for submissions for the Hot Western Nights anthology, that little lady stole into my dreams and whispered in my ear, “What about Diamond Jack?”

It’s not easy to condense a 400-page book into a 70-page novella and change the setting from the Crowsnest Pass to Colorado, but it was a challenge I thoroughly enjoyed. There’s some truth in the statement: better the second time around. I hope you will agree. I love being included in this anthology with five wonderful authors. Here’s a short excerpt from Diamond Jack’s Angel.

EXCERPT - Diamond Jack's Angel


Angela Summers has cared for her grandfather in the mining camp for many years. But when danger strikes, saloon owner Jack Williams must try to protect the woman he loves in DIAMOND JACK’S ANGEL.

Brookstown, Colorado, 1888

“I tell ya, Boss, that crazy old coot’s trouble. Every time it thunders, he says the mountain’s talkin’ to him. And it’s gittin’ worse.”

Sam Brooks sighed and set down his whiskey before looking up at his burly foreman. “All right, Bart, what’s he saying now?”

“He says there’s a fault in the mountain and it’s gonna come down. I tell ya, Boss, that kinda talk’s gonna spook the miners. They’re grumblin’ and talkin’ about goin’ on strike.”

Sam gritted his teeth, fed up with this constant trouble at the mine. Staring into his glass, he sighed like a tired old man and tossed back the rest of the whiskey. “Then take care of it. Make it look like an accident. There’s a bonus in it when the job’s done.”

Bart nodded. “You betcha, Boss. You can count on me.”

“I sure hope so,” Sam muttered, nodding dismissively toward the door.

~ * ~  

All my other books are set in Canada and places I’ve been able to physically visit. When I wrote my first book, I was advised to change the setting to the United States. I didn’t agree because I felt Canada has beautiful scenery and fascinating history to offer to readers. The response I’ve received from readers since the publication of Beneath A Horse Thief Moon last year supports my belief. Beneath A Fugitive Moon was published in June and Beneath A Desperado Moon will conclude the series next year.

I’ve written blogs about the Cypress Hills and its history, which has readers wanting to visit there. My prairie moon trilogy was inspired by a Garth Brooks song. The words and melody captured my imagination. What if he comes back? Another song written and sung by Ian Tyson about a full moon inspired part of the title. Thus, all three books of this trilogy are set in the beautiful Cypress Hills bordering southern Alberta and Saskatchewan.

My son accompanied me to the Cypress Hills because I wanted pictures for my website Nick is an excellent photographer with a great eye for detail, which you’ll see when you visit my website. He built that for me because I’m technically-challenged when it comes to computers. All the photographs here, including my bio photo, have been taken by my son.

I’m grateful and honored to have been invited by Jacqui Nelson to guest on North of the Border and share my love of Canada and writing romances. I hope my words will encourage you to take a trip north of the border or read a bit about Canada vicariously through my books.

Thank you so much and please comment below to enter the draw for an e-book of your choice.



~ * ~ 

Elizabeth Clements resides deep in cowboy country in western Canada with her husband who is her real-life hero. She admits she’s an incurable romantic and thus her sensual stories always focus on romance, whether her heroine drives a buggy or a convertible. She has set all twelve of her books in Canadian provinces because she believes Canada has beautiful scenery and fascinating history for her readers to enjoy. Elizabeth is often inspired by her surroundings, a photograph, or a song and the thought—what if… begins a delicious new journey into romance. Visit the author at her website:  www.elizabethclements.com to learn a bit more about her and see pictures of the setting for her western historical romance trilogy set in the beautiful Cypress Hills of southern Alberta and  Saskatchewan.

Stories of Romance and Love in Canada's Wild West



~ All pictures (except for the 1st) are supplied by today’s guest with their assurance of usage rights. 

24 comments:

  1. I got chills, Elizabeth, reading about your reaction when you stared at that life-sized immigrant, having felt that way myself. Isn't it wonderful and amazing how different things in life inspire us to write about them? Wonderful post! Thank you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, special moments like that stay with one a long time, perhaps forever. I guess the writer in me is very receptive to things around me because I've been inspired so often.I'm glad you've had a special moment or two like that as well, C.H. I'm glad you liked my post. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I've driven through the Crows Nest many times and the Frank slide always stops my heart. Thank you for reminding me of the wonderful stories we have to tell in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only been to the Crowsnest twice, each time when I visited the site of the Frank Slide. And each time I felt something in the air, a kind of hush, to honour the many souls that perished there. We have some amazing history, heroes and heroines, and I still have some more stories to write. Thanks for stopping by, Alice.

      Delete
  3. I love the blog again today and Elizabeth I am not entering as I can't do ebooks have crippled fingers from RSD it's throughout my body although I love to read so it hasn't taken my eyes it has my ears I have 1/4 hearing. Anyway thank you for coming to GLIAS and Jacqui you did it again and thank you so very much! peggy clayton ptclayton2@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy, so nice to "see" you again. Despite your physical problems, you remain an upbeat person. One of the many rewards about reading is that a good story will lift you out of your world and transport you new places and new people. I love reading and writing. Thank you for stopping by and your kind words about this blog.

      Delete
  4. I forgot to mention that my website pays tribute to the beautiful Cypress Hills and the N.W.M.P. fort that contains a goldmine of memorabilia of the day in the life of a mountie. Please check out www.elizabethclements.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love your stories, Elizabeth! I’ve only been to Canada one time many years ago when I was a teenager and yet even then I was impressed by the beautiful countryside...oh and did I mention I speedily fell in love with a Canadian young man? Lol! Interesting post—and I always love to know about the background of a writer’s story! You are having s stellar summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you for stopping by Cheryl. You are the best! And no, you never told me about that Canadian young man you fell in love with. Hmmm, does Gary know? That has my eyes sparkling with interest. And yes, I'm having a stellar summer thanks to you and Prairie Rose Publications!

      Delete
  6. I loved the post and reading about how your story was inspired by a true-life event. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. The original story from that "moment" became a fictitious mountain/disaster town so I could be more creative and avoid any historian for shaking a finger at me if my story differed from the "facts". It's really intriguing, though, how that little immigrant woman came back to urge me to bring that story back to life in a novella, which I then set in Colorado so it could be part of our anthology, Hot Western Nights. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Elizabeth,

    The closest I've physically been to Canada was when I lived in Cleveland, Ohio. I visited the U.S. shores of Lake Erie many times. Looking northerly, Canada was somewhere beyond the lake's horizon. *grin* The other near-Canada encounter is through Gordon Lightfoot's ballad, 'Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald'.

    It's always a pleasure to read your Canada-related articles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaye, you live in such a beautiful western state, that who could fault you if you don't make it up here to Canada, although we have such beautiful scenery and mountains, too. I love Gordon Lightfoot's songs, a real folk hero and singer. I just saw in today's paper that Ian and Sylvia Tyson have been conducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame. About time, and it should never have taken so long. Ian Tyson lives in southern Alberta on his ranch and still tours. I've seen him perform twice here. And it was Ian's rollicking song, Horsethief Moon, that inspired my title, and quite probably my Alberta/Saskatchewan setting for my trilogy. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words, Kaye. Here's the link for the song and I love the reference to Medicine Hat and other southern Alberta locations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKCuVrtxqEo

      Delete
  8. I's so happy you've had the chance to follow your dream. It makes life even sweeter than it already is. Great story. Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say it enough....everyone should pursue their dream, no matter how long it takes. Life intervene, and I put my books on the back burner, but the desire always simmered. Finally I took that leap of faith and what an emotional high it's been for me to see my stories at last in print. I'm so glad you liked my novella and that you were such a help in locating it in beautiful Colorado.

      Delete
  9. Loved your story about how you got your inspiration from that sad woman's face. I love it when history presents its untold or forgotten stories to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, it never ceases to amaze me what captures an author's imagination and a story evolves, be it a romance, a murder mystery or a trip into the past or future. I love it when research unearths some little known tidbit that adds excitement or interest to a story. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. nice inspiration
    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, BN. I love it when that special moment happens that sparks a story. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. Hi Elizabeth,

    I think the best stories come from a moment that sparks the creative juices. Great excerpt can’t wait to read the whole novella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Mia. Sometimes I'm inspired by something, like that immigrant woman's sad face, and sometimes it's just sitting quietly on a boulder, pen and notebook in hand, waiting for inspiration, and while staring at the tide creeping in over the rocks, a vision appears in the water. That happened during a visit to the Bay of Fundy and inspired my first historical. I hope you get a chance to read the anthology soon and I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks for stopping by, Mia.

      Delete
  12. Congratulations, Mia Lansford, you won the draw. Please let me know which e-book you'd like to receive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on winning one of Elizabeth's book, Mia! Thank you and everyone for commenting on the Get Lost in a Story blog ❤️

      Delete
  13. Hello I'm so happy sharing this, I still can’t thank you enough powerful Priest Elijah, My husband left for a younger lady because i was unable to give birth due to PCOS,I was so devastated i was lonely i cried a lot i even tried taking my life, Then my friend told me about this great man Priest Elijah who helped her made her marriage perfect, I also went online and did more research about him i was not too sure but i decided to give him a try he told me not to worry everything was going to be alright, He told me all i needed to pay which was a convenient fee and i did and he did his work and sent me video proof and told me to wait 24hrs that he will be back, The next morning to my greatest surprise it was Shawn my husband on his knees begging I'm so happy, It didn’t stop there, I'm proud to say that I'm 3 weeks pregnant thank you so much Priest Elijah I'm forever grateful contact him

    Email: universalspellhelp@gmail.com or

    universalspellhelp@yahoo.com

    WhatsApp him +2347054380994

    Website: https://universalspellhelp.wixsite.com/priestelijah

    ReplyDelete